Steering wheel clunk!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey members! I need some help here. Recently I purchased a 08 Chevy avalanche and I’ve noticed that there’s steering wheel play when the vehicle is stationary. Best way I can explain it is that if I hold the steering wheel at 9 and 3 position and push/ pull from side to side there’s movement not much but you can feel the steering wheel move and click very little movement but it is very annoying. This happens when the vehicle is stationary. It does not have any play at 12 and 6 position. Thanks in advance!

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Have you tried removing the wheel and torquing down the wheel nut?

OP
OP
M

Matek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not. I have no idea where to begin to look for a fix. Are you saying to remove the steering wheel and torque a nut?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Yes. Here’s a video showing how to remove the airbag (the video shows you how to remove steering wheel which you won’t do of course)...

Just remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before attempting this.

The process is very easy. Here it is step by step:

1.Remove negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes
2. Remove airbag (see video).
3. (Just an extra step that’s unneeded, but will prevent the steering wheel nut from becoming loose again) Remove wheel nut and apply Permatex Medium Strength Blue Threadlocker on inside threads of wheel nut.
4. Using a torque wrench (you should be able to rent one from a car parts store if you don’t have one and don’t plan on using one in the future) torque the wheel nut down to 30 ft-lbs.
5. Reattach airbag wires and airbag to steering wheel
6. Reconnect negative battery cable.

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this it’s an easy fix and shouldn’t cost much at all to have someone else do it. The longest part of it is waiting the 20 minutes in the beginning for the battery.

OP
OP
M

Matek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. Here’s a video showing how to remove the airbag (the video shows you how to remove steering wheel which you won’t do of course)...

Just remember to disconnect your negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes before attempting this.

The process is very easy. Here it is step by step:

1.Remove negative battery terminal for at least 20 minutes
2. Remove airbag (see video).
3. (Just an extra step that’s unneeded, but will prevent the steering wheel nut from becoming loose again) Remove wheel nut and apply Permatex Medium Strength Blue Threadlocker on inside threads of wheel nut.
4. Using a torque wrench (you should be able to rent one from a car parts store if you don’t have one and don’t plan on using one in the future) torque the wheel nut down to 30 ft-lbs.
5. Reattach airbag wires and airbag to steering wheel
6. Reconnect negative battery cable.

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this it’s an easy fix and shouldn’t cost much at all to have someone else do it. The longest part of it is waiting the 20 minutes in the beginning for the battery.

I can definitely try that, but how do I make sure or how can I make sure that that’s what is causing the problem and it’s not something else in the steering column? Could it be something other than this nut?

OP
OP
M

Matek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it was the wheel nut wouldn’t it also allow play in the 12 and 6 position?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
That’d be the first try as it’s the easiest.

Usually, once you remove the wheel nut, you have to pull and wiggle very hard to remove the actual steering wheel (sometimes you even need a special tool to pull it off). So my thoughts are simply that it’s a little stuck yet. But you are correct...it could definitely be something else.

Here’s a good article of other sources of the problem...

https://www.moogparts.com/parts-matter/why-does-my-steering-feel-loose.html

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
One thing before you try the aforementioned is to make sure you wheels are pointed straight ahead and your steering wheel is centered. I say this just in case your steering wheel does come off accidentally (if you’re going to remove the wheel nut to apply thread locker on it), then you have a good reference while putting the steering wheel back on.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Too bad! I’m all about the easy fixes. Sounds like it may be the bearing since you’re hearing clicking while turning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts