Steering wheel bulbs, why did GM do this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonyb5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did this in my 2005. Tried it with the wheel on. Much easier with wheel off. Don't be lazy in this case. You will be happy you did. You can take the harness and all the buttons out easily with the wheel off.

phillip975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where can u get these led bulbs ? same bulbs as the instrument cluster ?

Mr.Joshua

Reaction score
I got mine at Radio shack #272-154 incandescent bulbs. (#272-1092 will work too, just a little brighter/hotter)

Not sure about the instrument panel bulbs.

phillip975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want leds not incandescent lol i found out they were 3mm led bulbs thanks for the reply though !

AnothaMexican

Reaction score
What I did was make two tools to do the job. One to pull out the the switch and one to pull the connector into the switch. Even the short wire switches were no problem. I released the connector from the switch with a small screwdriver. Once I did the first one the rest were easy. I will post pictures of these tools when I get home. I bought the materials at home depot.

Last edited:

TimzDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've managed to do this with not much frustration. With the right tools and a little bit of creativity, no need to sweat. You don't need to take the steering wheel off. You need to buy a tool that looks like a dentist uses for a tooth cleaning. It's a scraper with an end like a hook. Slide that on the edge of the button, twist and pull gently. To put it back in, use the hook to pull the connector just enough so you can guide it in the button and just snap it back in. I've replaced all four buttons in about 30 min. This includes, interruption by my 6 yr old daughter, bathroom break, and a break for a drink of water. Yep, that's all. I'll try and post a pic of the tool I speak of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justjacks07

Latest posts