Steering box problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all need some help on r&r of the steering box on my 02 z71 Tahoe. It is leaking from the bottom seal next to the pitman arm . First time having to do this so any tips would be awesome thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The typed word is hard to decipher sometimes unless you see the process. First try looking at you tube videos about this and if still have questions, come back here.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like a very daunting task but its actually pretty easy. I installed a redhead box in my 05 Silverado a few years ago. If I remember correctly the hardest part was lifting the heavy pig in and out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That in and of itself is a PITA when trying to get mounting bolts started when you lift the new gear box to the frame.

Removal of the pitman arm with a puller is needed. Removal of the fluid lines with line wrench crowsfeet or wrenches. Unbolt from frame and completely clean the frame and inspect for cracks.
Reverse to install and then fill/bleed the fluid. DO NOT fill fluid and start engine and turn left and right with the front tires on the ground. You should elevate the tires and as you top off fluid as needed, turn the tires left and right, off the ground, slowly to purge the air from the system. When you have done that and see that the fluid is remaining full, then you can start engine and again turn slowly and watch fluid level. THEN you can put tires on ground and do the same again with the turning and watching fluid level. Then roadtest and top off fluid as needed. Use power steering fluid called for in the manual.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The job is incredibly easy compared to how bad it could be. A few bolts, unhook lines, catch fluid, swap pitman arm or replace pitman arm (hardest part), and then go in reverse.

Don't install the pitman arm the wrong way. Get a paint pen and go slow.

If you are in the Atlanta area, I can do it for good price! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700