Starts then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocCreer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2000 Tahoe 5.3 was running fine before I stored it for winter,now it starts for a second and dies,fuel pump is working,is it a passlock issue?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like it. Is there a security symbol in the DIC?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell a product called HEET. It is a cheap way to see if it is a fuel issue. Supposed to turn bad gas good again.

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you have 2 Tahoes that make the same ? Start and die strange . Friend of mine has a 2003 Tahoe and his ride makes the same. Starts and dies. But in his case the problem only occurs sometimes.
We are now checking the ECU / the sensors.. First we will check the value of the Cooing Water Temp.Sensor...
if he sends false information to the ECU ; for example 0 deg when it is 65 Deg ..then the engine get too much fuel. Result flooding..

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahaha.....no..... he has 2 tahoes but was answering red about the security light...both do the same with security light no start and die...
so you have 2 Tahoes that make the same ? Start and die strange . Friend of mine has a 2003 Tahoe and his ride makes the same. Starts and dies. But in his case the problem only occurs sometimes.
We are now checking the ECU / the sensors.. First we will check the value of the Cooing Water Temp.Sensor...
if he sends false information to the ECU ; for example 0 deg when it is 65 Deg ..then the engine get too much fuel. Result flooding..

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was having the passkey issue on my 99 burb, after research I found that if the passkey is active in keeping your engine from running, the security light will flash and not be solid. A solid light means that the unit is faulty but if you turn the key and the light flashes, it is active. Mine would spin over but never start even for a second. I ended up finding out that my ignition switch (key) was coming unplugged in the column. Once I fixed that, I never had that issue again.
Not saying that is the passkey is your issue but just be aware of the light when you crank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts