Starts but dies at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaiah W

Reaction score
2002 Tahoe with the 5.3l, it's been working fine, but when I tried to start it tonight, it would only stay alive with foot on the accelerator, but as soon as I let off, it would die. I let it sit for 15 mins and got it started again, and drove it to the repair shop to drop it off for the night. Any ideas on what to expect for repair bill? I'm thinking fuel pump or throttle body injector. Thanks!

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe with the 5.3l, it's been working fine, but when I tried to start it tonight, it would only stay alive with foot on the accelerator, but as soon as I let off, it would die. I let it sit for 15 mins and got it started again, and drove it to the repair shop to drop it off for the night. Any ideas on what to expect for repair bill? I'm thinking fuel pump or throttle body injector. Thanks!
Your description is vague at best. It could really be anything from a simple fuel filter to a bad MAF sensor to a ignition coil. Was the CEL on? Did you check for any codes? Last but not least, the shop you took it to. Are they reputable? Do you know for sure? Otherwise they could rake you over the coals. I.E. a simple clogged fuel filter problem turns into replacing your engine and your out $4k. Just sayin.....

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sputter or just flat out die?

A bad vacuum leak such as severely blown intake gaskets or a stuck EGR will not idle.

OP
OP
Isaiah W

Isaiah W

Reaction score
Well. It's not bad at all. The positive battery terminal was loose, and the bolt was completely stripped, so it was just getting an arc for power, not direct contact. They replaced both battery bolts, and went ahead and cleaned the throttle body while they were at it, ended up being $95 for all of it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You took it to a shop when it was only a loose battery terminal? Tsk tsk tsk lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226