starting issues this morning..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jutte73

Reaction score
ok guys and gals, so i went out to start my truck this morning, live in ohio had some snow and around 30-32 degrees... i have an 02 tahoe only extra elctronic "mod" is a pioneer head unit. so i got in turned the key "on" the gauges did their seep and that was all i got went to start it and nothing at all no click nothing... turn the key of and back to on samething gauges sweep try to start nothing, the info screen didnt even turn on... so cycled the key a couple more times and finally the dash lights lit up. tried starting it and it fired up just fine.. however the headunit was completely reset, all the preset where gone all the setting i had changed where back to default... so anyone else had this problem?? my first thought is may ignition switch, but then why would i completely loose power to the point where the headunit would reset, but the truck still started fine (eventually). i know the battery is getting weak and should be replaced asap... any thoughts or suggestion would be great..

thanks!

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon started doing the same thing one day after the battery died down. If i left my phone charging and it not on. i would go to start it and nothing. after a couple of times or jumpstarting it, good to go for a couple of weeks. Finally a couple days ago went to start it to go to work and nothing. thought it was the starter, but then i jumped it with my wifes car. Went to Autozone and had them test the battery, good at that point, but said it probably does not hold a charge over a long period of time(overnight). Bought a new battery, now she is good. A battery is less expensive than a starter, plus the work to put it on, you should have it checked out.:mexsmoke:

OP
OP
J

jutte73

Reaction score
yeah i came out one morning a few weeks ago and it was dead too and i jumped it and havent really had a problem till now.. but that time the headunit didnt reset, that is whats throwing me off.. although i should just replace what i know is bad (the battery) and see where it goes from there...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be checking your battery connections at the battery, take them off, clean them and scrape them some where the cable meet the battery and put them back on making sure they are snug!! Doesn't take much to disrupt the connection on occasion! Otherwise, another thing you can do is take a volt meter to the battery before you go to bed and see what the voltage is with the truck off and check it again in the morning and see if it's different, also taking it to a autoparts store and having them check it is a good idea as well before you start replacing stuff!

OP
OP
J

jutte73

Reaction score
yeah i am going to take the cables loose here at work in a bit and check them, and of course i am going to have my battery checked before i just replace lol.. i do have an automotive degree and have worked in several garages lol, just on here to see if anyone else has had simular problems that way im not chasing ghost this weekend when i dive into it lol.. i did by the truck from my brother and i know the battery is at least 4-5 years old, and it is a weaker 78 seires so i am still leaning towards the battery just getting old and these nice cold ohio mornings not helping it out any! thanks for the quick responses so far though, i really do like this site more and more!!

OP
OP
J

jutte73

Reaction score
well looks like its not the battery... had it checked at two different places and both said the battery was good.. havent had any issues the last couple day either, hopefully it was just some fluke thing and i have no more problems... if i do guess it will be time to start looking at wiring and relays...

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gf's acura was having that same problem, the terminals were just corroded as hell. I loosened em and twisted em on the battery terminal left and right a couple times i wore some of the gunk off then it started, just had to get some cleaner and it was fine.

OP
OP
J

jutte73

Reaction score
yeah i took the negative cable off and cleaned it a bit and put it back on and loosened the positive and twisted it around and tightened everything back up and so far so good, we shall see could just be partially the crappy ohio weather too, the days that it has acted up where cold and wet so i dont know at least i know now that the batter is still good lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401