Spare Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nemesis

Reaction score
The spare tire on my 2004 Tahoe will not function. The tire hangs down and swings around like an old mans ball sack. None of the salvage yards around Austin, TX seem to have one. Does anyone know the GM part number or know of a way to repair these?

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spare tire on my 2004 Tahoe will not function. The tire hangs down and swings around like an old mans ball sack. None of the salvage yards around Austin, TX seem to have one. Does anyone know the GM part number or know of a way to repair these?

LMMFAO! Priceless.

THOLL223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First thing to try is tightening the "winch" back up as tight as possible. Sometimes that releases the lock.

If that doesn't work you can put a bottle jack underneath there, lower the winch as much as possible and then use the jack to push up on just the middle part that goes through the tire. Check the manual, it tells you how to do this.

If none of that works you must do what I had to do and take a big long handled screwdriver, get it up through the tire and up to the part that won't come down. You have to get it up there and bang on the end of the screwdriver to release the hook. On the tire carrier there is a hook that is supposed to release when you lower the tire, it gets corroded and doesn't want to function.

Once you swear alot and bust up all your knuckles and get it down, grind off the hooked part so you don't have the lock anymore. Free repair, just a PIA.

Here is a picture I drew, ok I suck at drawing but hopefully you get the idea.
Picture003.jpg

Last edited:

brassknucklemafia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmfao here. i know the drawing helps. however when i saw your drawing it just emphasized the saggy hanging old mans ball sack image even more. :laughing1::waytogo:

OP
OP
Nemesis

Nemesis

Reaction score
First thing to try is tightening the "winch" back up as tight as possible. Sometimes that releases the lock.

If that doesn't work you can put a bottle jack underneath there, lower the winch as much as possible and then use the jack to push up on just the middle part that goes through the tire. Check the manual, it tells you how to do this.

If none of that works you must do what I had to do and take a big long handled screwdriver, get it up through the tire and up to the part that won't come down. You have to get it up there and bang on the end of the screwdriver to release the hook. On the tire carrier there is a hook that is supposed to release when you lower the tire, it gets corroded and doesn't want to function.

Once you swear alot and bust up all your knuckles and get it down, grind off the hooked part so you don't have the lock anymore. Free repair, just a PIA.

Here is a picture I drew, ok I suck at drawing but hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks for your help! Will give it a try tonight.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Saw this, just a few days out until the auction ends. If the repair option doesn't work, I'll likely jump on this.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

lmfao here. I know the drawing helps. However when i saw your drawing it just emphasized the saggy hanging old mans ball sack image even more. :laughing1::waytogo:

lmao!!!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that drawing is suitable for the family site we have here..... :eek:

Looks like a diagram for a vasectomy...:jawdrop:

andrewmoore13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmao the description was the first thing i thought of when i saw the pic