SOLVED: Loose steering wheel play -- is this normal?? (see video)

Is this type of loose steering wheel play normal for a 2004 Tahoe?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

ggeorgia

Reaction score
It WAS an 8.1. It's got an LBZ Duramax/Allison in it now. Hence the body lift to clear the intercooler.

Good point on the torque specs. Steering, brakes and suspension are important things to adhere to torque specs for.

Wow, that thing is bulletproof :cool:! I've seen video of Duraburbs, but never heard form anyone on how it work out.

OP
OP
G

ggeorgia

Reaction score
Always wondered how good Those new lares boxes are, I have been fighting play myself. Redheads sucked so did reman Delcos best I came up with was a used oem from lkq with 91,000 miles on it

To answer your question, so far the Lares gear box is working pretty well and is pretty firm. I will say, the Lares box is much heavier than the OEM box which I guess is a good thing.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, so far the Lares gear box is working pretty well and is pretty firm. I will say, the Lares box is much heavier than the OEM box which I guess is a good thing.

But your gas mileage! ;)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After replacing most of the steering and suspension in my effort to get rid of the slop in the steering, and tightening the steering gear box, I drove my '05 for another year before seeing the greatest improvement provided by installing Energy Suspension sway bar bushings. I cannot believe how much that $40 helped the steering. Now, I can feel the sway bar resistance and the steering is tighter on center. I am changing out the rear springs, sway bar bushings and all shocks this week to further improve the ride and handling. I also levelled out using torsion keys.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Might want to consider the Hellwig sway bar front and rear kits. The difference is night and day.

Kurupt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So quick question about the steering box, maybe one of you guys may know. My mechanic is saying somthing about there being 2 models of steering box, one being "luxury" ? doesn't really make sense to me 2003 yukon xl 4x4 1500 is what I have.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So quick question about the steering box, maybe one of you guys may know. My mechanic is saying somthing about there being 2 models of steering box, one being "luxury" ? doesn't really make sense to me 2003 yukon xl 4x4 1500 is what I have.

only difference I think is if you are 2 wheel drive or 4x4, or z71 off road package vs non z71 package.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So quick question about the steering box, maybe one of you guys may know. My mechanic is saying somthing about there being 2 models of steering box, one being "luxury" ? doesn't really make sense to me 2003
yukon xl 4x4 1500 is what I have.

I stand corrected there is actually a luxury package gear box according to rock auto, the Yukon I guess is a tad different vs the tahoes?

Kurupt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I stand corrected there is actually a luxury package gear box according to rock auto, the Yukon I guess is a tad different vs the tahoes?
Yes, I found this out also, I think I figured out what mine is, trouble is I cant find a new one anywhere just rebuilds. Mine is an 02-06 " anything except BPH or Y91 " steering box lol. That's what a gm parts guy quoted, Red head steering gear just informed me to count the number of bolts on the control valve and they'll get it figured for me

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I found this out also, I think I figured out what mine is, trouble is I cant find a new one anywhere just rebuilds. Mine is an 02-06 " anything except BPH or Y91 " steering box lol. That's what a gm parts guy quoted, Red head steering gear just informed me to count the number of bolts on the control valve and they'll get it figured for me

hopefully you have good results with them, I tried 2 and never thought it would be possible but they were entirely to ‘tight’ and squirrelly and didn’t have a ‘center’ so had to constantly correct the steering. I got a used oem low mile box off lkq for $80 and it was the best

Borge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I’ve been trying to track down a similar issue after placing the intermediate shaft, column bearing, steering box, idler, pitman and tie rod ends I still had this slop. I’ll try the lower shaft as well. During my research I came across another part number for this lower shaft (25958108). It appears this part number is for the 2500HD/3500 trucks. So for reference : 25958109 is for all 1/2 ton trucks and suvs and 25958108 is for all 2500HD/3500 trucks or any 1/2 ton with a body lift. It’s a bit longer to take into account the factory body lift on these models. This applies to gmt-800 only. These part numbers might fit other years and models

I mention this because of my situation. I have a 2500 Yukon xl with a 1.5” body lift up front. So I ordered the longer one (25958108). The upper or intermediate shaft is the same per number for all models in this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi. Did this fix your sloppy steering as well? I have changed more or less the same parts as you, and I still have a lot of play.. Wondering if I should do the lower steering shaft next…