SOLVED - Big 3 upgrade, EVERY warning light on immediately after.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not wrong, technically, but had they wired the bus in parallel, you could unplug any module without tanking the entire system downstream of it.

If anything, it should trigger an error code for the module in question, rather than everything downstream instead...

No no no. That would've cost GM an extra $2.28 in wiring per vehicle. Stop being so selfish.

I broke one of the cardinal rules of upgrades (tackling 2 projects at once) - the Suburban had 3 blown speakers when I bought it and I ran a fused 00 wire through the firewall to power 2 amplifiers in the vehicle.

When I replaced the factory sub with a 10" sealed model (in the factory location), I had to tuck that module up and out of the way for clearance. As best I can tell, I jostled it enough to cause the issues.

I fused every wire at every transition, ran quality wire (no aluminum), properly crimped everything, used adhesive lined shrink tubing, and it has all held out wonderfully apart from this hiccup.

It's funny... I painstakingly planned every inch of the project in advance, but I didn't even consider something like this because I didn't technically touch the Onstar/bluetooth stuff.

If it hadn't been for a random post on a Corvette forum, I'd have never even thought to check the Onstar Module. It was a hail mary diagnostic that happened to save my butt.

So glad it wasn't a fried system from something as idiotic as reverse polarity! Hopefully, if something weird like this happens to someone else in the future, someone here will remember your journey and might lead them directly to the cause.

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
I assumed that it was bluetooth only, but when I searched for it by name it mentioned the Onstar system as well. I never use Onstar, so it didn't occur to me to verify that it was working... After printing out dozens of pages from the OE wiring diagram, I noticed one that listed the high speed canbus modules in series and realized that Onstar was the last item in the series that wasn't giving me trouble.

When I upgraded my speakers and removed the Bose amp, I swapped the factory subwoofer for a 10" box that I tucked under the console. That little module was in the way and I shoehorned it to the side in order to make the box fit snuggly. In the end, I guess I bumped it just enough to dislodge one of the connectors.

We hit single digit temps this week and this was my last-ditch effort before buying another car and parking this until winter ended. I'm glad that it's over, but I have a major bone to pick with whoever engineered this...
Drudging this up from the near-dead…

How do you like the under-console enclosure? Does it vibrate the hell out of drinks in the console?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts