Soft suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MICHAEL WEIG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i posted in the newbie thread, but to recap i have a 2002 tahoe I purchased a few months ago as a daily. The guy I bought it from lowered it stated it was a 3/4 drop. It has Monroe Airmax shocks in the rear (running about 50-60psi in the rear) with shock relocation brackets, the front is 2" drop spindles and strut trek brand front shocks.

The dilemma I face is that I feel somethings bottoming out when i hit a rough patch i can feel something bottom out and there's a good thud sound. I noticed on the backside of the front wheel well's there is tire rubbage about 4" in length 3" width. When it sits at idle the lower control arms rest on the bump stops a little bit as well. It doesnt bounce up and down really bad while im driving and hitting wavey roads.

Should I just attempt to lift the front a bit with the Torsion Keys/bars. Or get a different front shock with better dampening?

Thanks for your input.

Also first time with a lowered vehicle.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So i posted in the newbie thread, but to recap i have a 2002 tahoe I purchased a few months ago as a daily. The guy I bought it from lowered it stated it was a 3/4 drop. It has Monroe Airmax shocks in the rear (running about 50-60psi in the rear) with shock relocation brackets, the front is 2" drop spindles and strut trek brand front shocks.

The dilemma I face is that I feel somethings bottoming out when i hit a rough patch i can feel something bottom out and there's a good thud sound. I noticed on the backside of the front wheel well's there is tire rubbage about 4" in length 3" width. When it sits at idle the lower control arms rest on the bump stops a little bit as well. It doesnt bounce up and down really bad while im driving and hitting wavey roads.

Should I just attempt to lift the front a bit with the Torsion Keys/bars. Or get a different front shock with better dampening?

Thanks for your input.

At rest the front jounce (not "bump") stops SHOULD contact the LCAs; they are an integral part of the torsion bar suspension.

Have you looked at the rear bounce stops to see if they've been removed or are missing?

OP
OP
MICHAEL WEIG

MICHAEL WEIG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At rest the front jounce (not "bump") stops SHOULD contact the LCAs; they are an integral part of the torsion bar suspension.

Have you looked at the rear bounce stops to see if they've been removed or are missing?

They are there, I am used to solid axle front vehicles with a lift, so usually the "jounce" stops as you call them (ive always heard them referred to as bump stops) is something i never looked at. So knowing they are supposed to rest on them is good to know thanks!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the thud from the front or rear? If the PO didn’t add smaller bump stops out back that’s probably part of the problem. What size wheel and tire are you running?

OP
OP
MICHAEL WEIG

MICHAEL WEIG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the thud from the front or rear? If the PO didn’t add smaller bump stops out back that’s probably part of the problem. What size wheel and tire are you running?

I'm running 285/60/18 tires. The thud feels it's right below my feet but I mean it could travel from rear to front.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your input.

2 things..what kind of springs are you running in the rear and you need to look into the free travel mod for the rear. you do not run the stock rear bump stops being lowered 4". the thud you are feeling is the bump stops hitting the frame. the free travel mod relocates the rear bump stops so you have more room for suspension "travel" without bottoming out.. check out this link..

hopefully you do not have cut rear stock springs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33