Smelling coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions.

I have plenty of heat inside the truck.

I see that I’m not loosing coolant, IF I am it’s so little it’s not noticeable,yet.

I’ll check the fittings you all are talking about and see if they are leaking. I wish I looked closer to the water pump area and the side tanks of the radiator before the snow and the salt got all over the truck.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate the suggestions.

I have plenty of heat inside the truck.

I see that I’m not loosing coolant, IF I am it’s so little it’s not noticeable,yet.

I’ll check the fittings you all are talking about and see if they are leaking. I wish I looked closer to the water pump area and the side tanks of the radiator before the snow and the salt got all over the truck.
Actually that can benefit you, the spot that has no white salt residue will be clean if you have a leak anywhere

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good call. I went with the billet tees from gruvenparts.com for both rigs and also used the Dorman metal Y to replace the one that sits down by the water pump. It's a good feeling to know I'll never have to deal with that problem again.

Yeah the white one was dripping on to the valve cover and transmission dipstick.......took me a couple minutes to find the source.

I looked at those billet T's........I just couldn't bring myself to spend $160 plus shipping on them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after a good drive, park and get flashlight, look down the sides of the radiator, cracks in the plastic are common, as are the heater fittings on the firewall, bottom of water pump so get under the truck and look up and look along the bottom edge of the radiator area and around coolant reservoir tank
also when you are parked and in for the evening place a large piece of clean cardboard under the engine area and check it in the morning, if there are any wet spots look directly up from there.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I looked at those billet T's........I just couldn't bring myself to spend $160 plus shipping on them."

I said the same thing. After replacing 2 set's of the one each of GM & Dorman plastic also being worried about getting stranded in the middle of nowheresville , the purchase was worth it for the piece of mind. Or in my case I can't afford to loose another piece of my mind.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the white one was dripping on to the valve cover and transmission dipstick.......took me a couple minutes to find the source.

I looked at those billet T's........I just couldn't bring myself to spend $160 plus shipping on them.
Hats off that you were paying attention and caught it before it left you stranded. That leak is likely from a hairline crack that will lead to failure imminently. I would feel okay replacing them with OEM parts every 5 years or so, and just considering it a maintenance item. The Dorman plastic tees have mixed results with some failing much earlier than expected. As long as you use OEM parts, you should be okay for a while.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hats off that you were paying attention and caught it before it left you stranded. That leak is likely from a hairline crack that will lead to failure imminently. I would feel okay replacing them with OEM parts every 5 years or so, and just considering it a maintenance item. The Dorman plastic tees have mixed results with some failing much earlier than expected. As long as you use OEM parts, you should be okay for a while.

Well what spiked my attention was a decent sized puddle of fluid under the truck one morning. It was red'ish; so I knew it was either coolant or DEX6.

But yes, I'm glad I caught it when I did.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit with a small black light flashlight and fluorescent dye added to the coolant can make the search a little quicker.

Bob D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad someone mentioned the tee's,

btw I pulled mine out and changed the o-rings for under 5 bucks, coolant smell gone.

it drips right on the header pipe below the tee's!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the tee's are leaking, mine were recently, you will get a wet hand when you reach in there and feel under the bottom of each of them. I could see the drops on the ground but could not see the tee's leaking but they were wet. Tee's replaced and now dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE