Sluggish turning over push to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 SLT Yukon.

Whenever I am going to start my Yukon, I push the button and there is a good .5 sec delay, then the engine turns over and starts. My last service at the GM dealership reported a DTC B1517 code, 03 - voltage below threshold. I just got the battery replaced 3 months ago, so I got it swapped out for a brand new one. You can tell there is a huge draw of power and all the lights on the instrument cluster go dim. Its a very similar feel to when your battery is going dead.

With the battery being brand new, and the battery terminal connections being solid. Where should I go next? Check the connections to the starter? Could the start being going bad and requiring more draw to turn engage?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have already checked this, but is the battery ground cable to the block/chassis lug clean and tight at that endpoint?

OP
OP
J

jsams22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may have already checked this, but is the battery ground cable to the block/chassis lug clean and tight at that endpoint?

I have not looked yet. Trying to determine the best place to start.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 SLT Yukon.

Whenever I am going to start my Yukon, I push the button and there is a good .5 sec delay, then the engine turns over and starts. My last service at the GM dealership reported a DTC B1517 code, 03 - voltage below threshold. I just got the battery replaced 3 months ago, so I got it swapped out for a brand new one. You can tell there is a huge draw of power and all the lights on the instrument cluster go dim. Its a very similar feel to when your battery is going dead.

With the battery being brand new, and the battery terminal connections being solid. Where should I go next? Check the connections to the starter? Could the start being going bad and requiring more draw to turn engage?
There is a ground terminal on the rear of the left cylinder head - hard to get to. I'd put that on the list of things to check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9