SiriusXM Reception Blocked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason101

Reaction score
Help! Ever since the first snowfall on my 2017 Tahoe, my XM hasn't worked right. It cuts in and out with the above message and just recently stopped working all together. My wife's Honda right next to it has no signal/reception issues whatsoever. I already sent a refresh signal (twice) and it didn't help. Vehicle is clean and has no snow. Does the XM antenna use the Shark Fin? If so, I've already confirmed that the shark fin isn't loose or obstructed. My dealer is an hour a way and I wanted to see if there is a self fix before bringing it in.

20181119_080601.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible that the gasket under the shark fin is compromised and allowing moisture in which will eventually wreck the coax lines. If you have a scan tool that can read BCM codes, it will tell you what is wrong. Both of my coax antenna cables are bad and throw codes but the phone and radio still works though sometimes reception is poor. I'm going to let my dealer replace them both come spring.

OP
OP
J

Jason101

Reaction score
It's possible that the gasket under the shark fin is compromised and allowing moisture in which will eventually wreck the coax lines. If you have a scan tool that can read BCM codes, it will tell you what is wrong. Both of my coax antenna cables are bad and throw codes but the phone and radio still works though sometimes reception is poor. I'm going to let my dealer replace them both come spring.

Thanks. I find it hard to believe that the gasket could be shot already. Its only 5 months old and 4,000 miles. I don't have any reception issues with FM radio, GPS, OnStar, etc. I guess I'll just have to wait it out until I get it in for its first oil change.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I find it hard to believe that the gasket could be shot already. Its only 5 months old and 4,000 miles. I don't have any reception issues with FM radio, GPS, OnStar, etc. I guess I'll just have to wait it out until I get it in for its first oil change.

You never know, could be loose wires too.

Kittmaster

Reaction score

My service adviser at Tasca said it is so common that new trucks on the lot leak right off the truck....the gasket is "split" by design and causes the leak to happen....took mine 23 months...but still happened...replace it under warranty and move on. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jason101

Reaction score
Finally got it into the dealer today and they replaced the shark fin gasket with an updated version that moves the hole in the gasket to the front side of the vehicle. XM Reception is perfect now. Dealer said when they removed the fin, it was full of water and the GPS and XM antenna corroded. They replaced under bulletin 17-NA-214

Covered under warranty, but paper showed a $114.75 fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos