sign of fuel pump replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liftednali

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 2000 Denali (99 body style). Thursday night i parked it in the garage. It was running fine all day and i was beginning to run low on fuel so i figured i would use my other car for the time being. Today when i went to start it to go fill it up, it would not start. It would crank but crank right back. I figured maybe there wasn't enough fuel in the tank and put in a few more gallons, still nothing. I then opened the fuel lines at the engine to see if fuel was being pumped when cranked, it was not. My truck has 150xxx miles on it and i doubt the fuel pump has been changed before, would this be the problem? Over time since I've got it i have noticed that it hasn't been starting as healthy and choking before a full crank so maybe the fuel lines got clogged and the pump wasn't kicking like it should be.
Any tips suggestions?

thanks

hotbeek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you hear the pur of the fuel pump with the key in the on position ? If no, probably fuel pump. Had a fuel pump go at 110K and had another go at 192K. Probably not a bad idea to have fuel filter replaced if it has not been.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

p.s. my last fuel pump was purring but was only putting out 20psi. give your tank a pounding with a rubber mallet...may get you started may be short lived though.

OP
OP
L

liftednali

Reaction score
Okay guys, yes the fuel pump does purr and turns on i checked at the fuel filter and fuel lines and fuel is being pumped, so it is something with the ignition.... fuel pump pumps just fine before when i tested it i didn't open the fuel line far enough to let it flow.
Something with the ignition, timing chain possibly? even though they should last a lifetime. or the distributor?

anything other suggestions?

thanks

Last edited:

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya. Take a plug out and have someone crank the engine and watch for a spark.

Then you'll know you have a working spark plug.

I suppose you can even check all plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've known several people who had to replace there pump between 100-125k. My Denali has 128k on it and the signs are there, it will be replaced after I recover from my surgery. When they start making noise or sometimes they will just quite and leave you on the side of the road. I prefer a pre-empted strike in this case. I think they should be replaced at 100k anyhow but......

skaffy03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had problems with my MAF sensor being faulty. It ran fine all day until I parked it for about an hour. When I went to get in my truck would crank but never start. I ended up checking everything I could without tearing things apart.

If you have spark, and you can hear the pump with the key in the ON position and you have flow of fuel, try unplugging the MAF sensor and try to start it. If it starts after a couple cranks, even if it dies, your MAF is likely to be the culprit.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine went in the 140's started idleing funny. i went to the pharmacy 1 mile away she drove fine and on the way home the shit hit the fan. while i sat in front of my house she would just die then after a few tries she didn't start at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elepere

Latest posts