Side Detetection System / Blind Spot Alert issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh Rubin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. I have a message upon start up that indicates "Service Side Detection System." After some research and follow up with my dealership, I have learned that the failure of the "side detection system" is widespread problem with GM vehicles. So much so that they have provided a bulletin extending warranty coverage on the chevy cruise, chevy impala, and GMC acadia with the same exact issue. No bulletins for any other models even thought it is the same issue - water penetrates inside the module (located near the back bumper) and shorts out the whole system. Worse yet, it can start to affect the electrical components of the vehicle's other systems. To date, GM has been unwilling to address my concern and get this fixed out of typical 36 month bumper to bumper warrantly. I am currently working with legal counsel to address this issue. Frankly, I am surprised that they will not address the issue and that GM is picking and choosing which consumers to assist with this issue. Depending upon their final answer, I am considering the case for potential legal (class) action. I will follow up periodically with updates. Please let me know if anyone else has any info on this issue. Thanks,

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali. I have a message upon start up that indicates "Service Side Detection System." After some research and follow up with my dealership, I have learned that the failure of the "side detection system" is widespread problem with GM vehicles. So much so that they have provided a bulletin extending warranty coverage on the chevy cruise, chevy impala, and GMC acadia with the same exact issue. No bulletins for any other models even thought it is the same issue - water penetrates inside the module (located near the back bumper) and shorts out the whole system. Worse yet, it can start to affect the electrical components of the vehicle's other systems. To date, GM has been unwilling to address my concern and get this fixed out of typical 36 month bumper to bumper warrantly. I am currently working with legal counsel to address this issue. Frankly, I am surprised that they will not address the issue and that GM is picking and choosing which consumers to assist with this issue. Depending upon their final answer, I am considering the case for potential legal (class) action. I will follow up periodically with updates. Please let me know if anyone else has any info on this issue. Thanks,
You would be better off working with GM (dealer or region rep) than getting "legal" involved. If your car is still under warranty have them fix the "Service Side Detection System" error. I've had 2013 Suburban, 2016 Yukon Denali and now a 2019 Yukon Denali - never experienced this issue. Good luck with any class action resolution.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What trouble code(s) are you getting along with this message? Please include the 2-digit symptom code that follows if applicable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14