Should I replace fuel pump pro-actively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Really great advice! I do carry tools, and will double check everything. Glad I used loc-tite red on the big brake bolts and blue on the smaller one.

I looked at the records again and the belts and heater hoses are new. Coolant flushed and replaced, new hoses.

ONE heater core plastic T was replaced so I just ordered the second T plus the tools to quick release hoses. Will look into changing it asap.

Thanks again!
Just cut that T off with a pair of tin snips. It’s way easier. Only reason to take it off in 1 piece would to be if you’re re-using it. The quick connects are great for assembly but a PIA to remove.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Only use an OEM fuel pump I’ve learned. My buddies 06 Yukon 5.3 only got a year out of a generic, 1 year warranty pump. It’s not worth doing twice on your dime & time.

My 08 Denali has it’s fuel level sensor starting to fail. I won’t replace it but deff shopping for an oem replacement to have the shop ready to pop in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theprovider

Reaction score
I drove my old Sierra (160k Miles) back and forth to Tampa from Houston 3 times in 2 years. Never skipped a beat. Loved taking it over The wife’s car because of the room and how smooth it was on the highway.....then I lifted it and put big tires on it and she didn’t enjoy the ride so much anymore haha

I’d say go for it! It’s a Chevy, every autoparts store across the US carries every part needed in stock haha

OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
SW Louisiana (originally) and DFW area presently
Be adventurous!! I drive my 2003 Yukon XL 2500 down to Manzanillo, Mexico pulling a 25' trailer (and the trailer is even older, 1948!). That's 2500 miles one way. This is my second winter doing this. I make sure all service, maintenance, unusual noises, upgrades, etc. are all taken care of before the migration. It has 150k miles and the original fuel pump. I've had a few issues, but haven't been stranded yet (knock wood). View attachment 218965
Nice looking rig and trailer!

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the fuel pump without a lift is a chore. I had the tank out to replace a brake line and didn't mess with the fuel pump. With a lift it is much easier just because you can move the tank around better to get it out. I ended up having to drop my tank again because in the process I put too much stress on an evap line and broke a nipple off the carbon canister without knowing it. Any time you mess with something of a vintage where there's a good chance it hasn't been apart since factory seems to be most problematic.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing the fuel pump without a lift is a chore. I had the tank out to replace a brake line and didn't mess with the fuel pump. With a lift it is much easier just because you can move the tank around better to get it out. I ended up having to drop my tank again because in the process I put too much stress on an evap line and broke a nipple off the carbon canister without knowing it. Any time you mess with something of a vintage where there's a good chance it hasn't been apart since factory seems to be most problematic.
If you start with it low on fuel and then pump it empty it’s pretty easy since it’s just a big plastic container. I used a small electric pump to drain it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne