Shock recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know everyone on here is a HUGE fan of Bilstein's, and if I had the cash, I'd pony up the $300+ for them.

But, one of my best friends is a manager at an Autopart International, and they primarily offer KYB's.
The Excel/ GR2's are the OE ride quality version, the MonoMax are the heavy-duty version, and the Gas-a-Just are their Increased Handling option.

They don't offer a Load Assist option, so an option might be Monroe's, with a "coilover" for load assistance. I work as a contractor, so any given day I'm carrying around from 300-800 lbs in added weight, sometimes up to and over 1200 lbs.

Adding a 2 1/2"-3" key lift, and 2" spacers for the rear on my '01 'Burban. Already have 285/75/16's on it (without any lift, other than turning the stock torsions). May go up to 315/75/16's, but more than likely will put 20" rims on and run a 275/65/20.

BTW - here is RockAuto's spec page on the options.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/....3l+v8,1371585,suspension,shock+absorber,7556

And I've thought about the Rancho 5000's, but I have read that they aren't all that great.

Any thoughts/ opinions?
I can get any of the KYB's at cost. But if a few bucks more will get me better performance/handling/capacity.....

Last edited:

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert. But I would say you would be fine with the heavy duty monomax KYB's. Especially if you're used to driving a truck loaded up and not expecting it to be a Cadillac.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Priced out the 5100's (after scouring the web for hours), couldn't justify over $300 for four shocks.
Got 2" spacers and shock extensions for the rear, and 3" keys for the front for $114, including the $36 for the specialty Torsion bar tool on E-bay. Ordered the Moog Z71 coils and KYB MonoMax shocks for the rear, and extended length (2.5-5") KYB Monomax shocks for the front, for $280 shipped from RockAuto. I priced everything through my buddy at Autopart International, and even at cost, the shocks and coils were over $60 more.

Everything I've read says the Z71 coils will give me from 1-1.5" of lift by themselves. Any contrary opinions?

Everything should be here by next Wednesday, already made an appointment with the local Goodyear service station (my cousin is the manager) to drop it off the following Saturday.

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
That's good. I prefer 5100s for the money that really perform much better. Shocks I need for my Denali will cost 700 starting and go up from there to 3000 so 300 is cheap! The coils may or may not give that much lift depends on current height. On the old Yukon it only gained 1/4-1/2" but I would expect 3/4"-1". Make sure to crank the front end to match fender heights front and rear then align it.

Lenny84

Reaction score
i just put Monrow Reflex on the front of my yukon last weekend, so far I'm very happy with them. nice smooth ride. just for the front 2 shocks was $128. from the reviews i read before i bought the Reflex shock, a lot of people were very pleased with this shock...and i em too. !

carduke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get KYB's. Monroe is softer and will bounce more.

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you end up going with and how you liking the ride?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you end up going with and how you liking the ride?

When I first had the coils and keys done, the UCA's were pretty much riding on the bumpstops, pretty much zero downtravel. So, I cut 'em.

I made a small V-cut with a sawzall about 1/2 of an inch wide on the underside, leaving about 1/8" of solid metal at the top. Heated the metal with a MAPP gas torch, and hit the bumpstops from above, closing up the V. I then welded them back together, a few heavy tacks was all it needed. Gained about 1/4" of clearance for the UCA's.

Then I found that the keys were uneven, I had over 3/4" difference in fender heights. Apparently the keys were just installed until the bolts were tight, and resting on the stops is where they stopped. I decranked the passenger side about 3/4 of a turn, and the driver side almost 3 full turns. I'm now sitting at 39 3/4" in the front, and 40" in the rear after everything has settled over the last 3+ weeks. My alignment is off just a tad, very slightly off-center with the steering wheel. Not enough to worry about, will have Goodyear redo it the next time I have it in the shop - no need to make a special trip just for that.

Got the KYB Monomax shocks, and LOVE the way it feels and handles. Firm, but not harsh. It's not an Escalade plush ride, mine is a daily WORK truck.

Adirk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rather than start a whole new thread I'm jumping on this one, soooo Im with everyone on the whole bilsteins and Im pretty much set on them I'm just looking for conformation that I am looking at the right ones for an 04 xl slt, got a 2.5" front and 1" rear lift and the parts that I am looking at are 24-187237(rear) and 24-186643(front) of off summit racing's site, hate to drop the money on shocks and have them not work, (especially have them somehow cause my ride height to lower since my tires would end up causing rubbing)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700