Shock "flexibility" question: Stock to 1.5 or 2"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there new poster thanks in advance for your expertise! I am planning on lifting my 1999 Tahoe 1.5-2 inches with a body lift in the next year or so. I have my reasons, and this is a done deal decision. (5'3" wife, access to barn doors in the back for tools etc, driving kids around etc etc) Sure I'd love to do a 6 inch cepek suspension lift with dual shocks, but I'm not building a rock crawler ;-)

I already have Cooper 34's that clear with the stock wheels. My shocks are the original history lesson Bilsteins that came with the thing. Needless to say, replacing the front shocks is at this point a no brainer, and needs to happen. What shocks can I get that will be "flexible" when I pump it up 1.5-2 inches? It looks like the travel in the Rancho RS-5000s will be fine with the extra height. Probably Monroe Reflex Monos may work as well . . . Not interested in going pro with the dual RS-9000s etc etc, this is primarily a work truck that will carry people, get to the snow, tow a boat etc.

Am I insane for even thinking along these lines? Just don't want to buy shocks twice . . .

Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year,

Cheers,

Bill

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if the suspension is really stiff already then it is possible that only when you hit a huge pot hole that you feel the shocks fully stretched position give you a lack of traction because you are fully extended but only then for a moment. while getting the correct ones that add a inch or 2 to the oem height are ideal because they are longer you may want to try and stick with what you have now to see what happens with you driving. this will give you more time to gather thoughts from here and research which may lead to something else. its not insane at all.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A body lift will not alter the shock length. Any decent shock will be an improvement