Shock Extenders/Longer Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If adding a 2" rear coil spring spacer, is it necessary to use shock extensions or longer shocks? What are all you guys that have added rear spring spacers doing?

Paging the resident NNBS lift guru @01Konvict

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bilstein make a longer shock application

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein make a longer shock application

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know, but I already have new rear shocks, Lee. Just wondering if I need longer shocks or extentions if lifting the rear 2". I could tell you anything you wanted to know about lowering our trucks, but have never gotten into the lifted game.

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had one two many beers the other night and ordered 2" rear spring spacers and 2.5" front spacers that mount between the front lower control arms and bottom of the struts. Obviously, I wasn't thinking straight because I don't know if I wasted my money, or not. Have no clue what lifting the front end 2.5" will do to ball joint and CV angles, etc.

Somebody fill me in and either tell me to return them, or that it's fine and what I need to do to make these front and rear spacers work. Lol

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Good order! The 2.5 will work fine up front and put the angles about max but safe. If you want extra safe down the road then get some upper control arms made for lifts. The rear coil spacer will work fine under the shock. Downside is stocks can be stretched an 1" but 2" you need shock extensions. Best shocks for level are 5100s with longer rears for lift.

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good order! The 2.5 will work fine up front and put the angles about max but safe. If you want extra safe down the road then get some upper control arms made for lifts. The rear coil spacer will work fine under the shock. Downside is stocks can be stretched an 1" but 2" you need shock extensions. Best shocks for level are 5100s with longer rears for lift.

So I'll either need new rear shocks or extensions? And nothing up front? Seems easy enough.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'll either need new rear shocks or extensions? And nothing up front? Seems easy enough.

Yes with the spacer level kit nothing to add up front. You can leave the rear shocks until they wear out unless your are taking it offroad or you really need that extra travel. The rear shock will limit maximum droop.

Here's a pic of my rig with 2.5/1 level kit and 285/65/18s Nitto Trails.

20150815_195747_resized%20b_zpsdu5yw6ue.jpg

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score

Yeah you will need longer shocks, like Zed 71 said you can run stock ones but it will limit travel and eventually wear them out. That's why getting longer rears will help keep the shock in desired ride height position not near end of stroke.

OP
OP
C

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured. Thanks, guys. I'll probably just get some extenders since the rear shocks are new. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V2Tahoe