Shift cable linkage/attachment problems..HELP??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotdixon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 GMC YUKON DENALI 6.0 AWD
I had my transmission changed out about a year ago by what i didnt know at the time, a sketchy fly by night "mechanic". It was returned to me with comments from the guy saying he still needed to adjust the shift cable because it wasnt connected to the lever on the column. It has been sitting for the last year but before that i was driving it but had to reach under the column and push/pull on the shift cable to put in or change gears. When i do push in or pull to change gears it does show on the cluster that the gears are changing but sometimes when it shows im in park, im actually in reverse. and when it shows to be in drive, it bounces over to 3. And it usually actually doesnt go into a driveable position from neutral until the cluster shows that it is in 3. Also, when i crank it, it immediately goes into reverse. ???
CAN someone please help me, as i am a single mother who knows basics about mechanics and no money to go to a shop right now and need to drive to start work this week, what can i do and what is actually wrong with it? I have a fear that maybe the transmission wasnt the same as the one taken out or maybe it is but with the shift cable like it is its not safe to drive and could damage the vehicle more....... ANY HELP-ADVICE-OR KNOWLEDGE will help me so much. Thanks in advance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 GMC YUKON DENALI 6.0 AWD
I had my transmission changed out about a year ago by what i didnt know at the time, a sketchy fly by night "mechanic". It was returned to me with comments from the guy saying he still needed to adjust the shift cable because it wasnt connected to the lever on the column. It has been sitting for the last year but before that i was driving it but had to reach under the column and push/pull on the shift cable to put in or change gears. When i do push in or pull to change gears it does show on the cluster that the gears are changing but sometimes when it shows im in park, im actually in reverse. and when it shows to be in drive, it bounces over to 3. And it usually actually doesnt go into a driveable position from neutral until the cluster shows that it is in 3. Also, when i crank it, it immediately goes into reverse. ???
CAN someone please help me, as i am a single mother who knows basics about mechanics and no money to go to a shop right now and need to drive to start work this week, what can i do and what is actually wrong with it? I have a fear that maybe the transmission wasnt the same as the one taken out or maybe it is but with the shift cable like it is its not safe to drive and could damage the vehicle more....... ANY HELP-ADVICE-OR KNOWLEDGE will help me so much. Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear of your horrible experience with that POS mechanic.

To fix, you'll need to remove the lower trim panel that covers everything underneath the steering wheel (two 7mm bolts). Then remove the little "shield" (4 10mm bolts) so you can get access to the right side of the steering column where the shift cable hooks into the actuator arm which is connected to your shifter.

If that's confusing (and im sure is), here is pics of what im referring to.

Steering column (mine's an 03 5.3L but is largely the same as yours). I replaced this one with a column from the junkyard as the one shown had an upper column bearing failure.
IMG_7527.jpeg

Im pointing at the shift cable bracket on column. The shifter cable's locking tab mechanism must be engaged in that bracket.
IMG_7525.jpeg

Pic of shield after lower paneling is removed
IMG_4703.jpeg

There's two 15mm column to body bolts that must be removed to allow the column to drop downwards. They go into the two large bolt holes on the mounting flange, seen here:
IMG_7521.jpeg

Here's a video of the process (not mine as i didnt film my repair).

Hope this helpe a bit, let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts