She floats on dry land

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Front wheel bearings? Tie rod ends? Sway bar links? Have you replaced those also? I saw an old Blazer with the bolt on the steering box throw arm just about to fall out of the tie rod link. Look at that as well.

Attachments

• A4F064C2-4F41-40CA-BC03-A7405DC6D46D.png
    A4F064C2-4F41-40CA-BC03-A7405DC6D46D.png
    708.9 KB · Views: 2
  • FFA43A43-BD6C-4461-A7B3-02179639D4EB.png
    FFA43A43-BD6C-4461-A7B3-02179639D4EB.png
    816 KB · Views: 2
  • C43F858E-F873-4D72-9749-226A0C643EF6.png
    C43F858E-F873-4D72-9749-226A0C643EF6.png
    654 KB · Views: 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me it looks like it is sitting kind of high, might need the torsion bars adjusted properly, what is on the rear end? is it stock height or does it look like the springs are higher, if the bump stops are not ever touching that's a clue. Normally these trucks handle pretty good, I have slalomed mine up and down mountains and corners all over the place at high speed no complaints. I did the whole front end of the wifes 05 pretty much like you did and also did the gear box and it tightened it right up it was pretty dodgy left or right before doing the work.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On the inside glovebox lid there should be a sticker with a bunch of 3-character codes. Would you take a picture of that and upload it into a message? I'm curious if you have G65 and ZW7 (known as Premium Smooth Ride).

I would mention that Detroit Axle parts don't have a great reputation here. YMMV

Also there have been instances of the center link in the steering being installed in the wrong orientation. I think @SnowDrifter has a post about that.

At ride height the (front) jounce stops need to contact the lower control arms. If the stops are missing, damaged, or not making contact with the lower control arms, that can affect the stability of the truck.

Lastly, have there been any changes to the height of the truck? Slight lift or drop? Keys cranked?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@Doubeleive and @Fless beat me to it. I also agree about the Detroit Axle complaints.

Also, what happens if the tires are switched front to back and what is the air pressure? Alignment readings?

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Could you share the year of the rig? I would be curious about the ride height and please share a pic of the before and after alignment readings. I would be curious about the caster readings. Since you have the same problem after all the steering and suspension work, I can't find blame with the quality of the parts, YET! "Front end new" means only suspension or steering components or both. Was it in fact, "entire" front end?
Thanks for the welcome , my dad was a Vietnam vet and you are the best of the best in my book thanks for your service sir.
2003 , have not done anything to steering column to the box except checking the play and it’s tight but often has a rattle that sounds like it’s under dash but took all the trim off and everything inside seems tight and working.

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the inside glovebox lid there should be a sticker with a bunch of 3-character codes. Would you take a picture of that and upload it into a message? I'm curious if you have G65 and ZW7 (known as Premium Smooth Ride).

I would mention that Detroit Axle parts don't have a great reputation here. YMMV

Also there have been instances of the center link in the steering being installed in the wrong orientation. I think @SnowDrifter has a post about that.

At ride height the (front) jounce stops need to contact the lower control arms. If the stops are missing, damaged, or not making contact with the lower control arms, that can affect the stability of the truck.

Lastly, have there been any changes to the height of the truck? Slight lift or drop? Keys cranked?
It has G65 & ZW7
Have new springs on rear that slightly raised it and new keys in front that has the front level and height matches all around .
I’ll check the stops and control arm .

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome , my dad was a Vietnam vet and you are the best of the best in my book thanks for your service sir.
2003 , have not done anything to steering column to the box except checking the play and it’s tight but often has a rattle that sounds like it’s under dash but took all the trim off and everything inside seems tight and working.
Thanks for the Vietnam comment. That rattle you hear/feel is likely the attaching steering shaft from the column to the steering gear. Common problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has G65 & ZW7
Have new springs on rear that slightly raised it and new keys in front that has the front level and height matches all around .
I’ll check the stops and control arm .
I'm going to guess the front level is the reason for the floating around and I think the zw7 uses the nivomat shocks if you changed the rear shocks then sadly there is nothing out there that will replace the nivomat I tried that once and had tossed the old shocks and was surprised to find out how much new replacements cost. rode like crap without the nivomats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastline22