Shade tree getting ASE Certified..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I pivoted out of turning wrenches a long time ago but still feel this tug. Like I missed out. Now that the ship has long ago sailed, I want to be the best shade tree mechanic I can be. Because YOLO and more knowledge is better.

Any suggestions as to the order of tests? Did you take them all at once or chip away at it one by one? I'm gauging the difficulty of the material by the # of questions on the test and the required score (70%)to pass. Isn't that like a C? I'm a solid C student.. I think I might be ok.

Chad

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Check this ASE site out. You can do it all on line.

When I first got my certs, I did the easier, to me, line work tests, like brakes, steering, suspension, heating and cooling....etc. Then I studied more and got more experience and took the more difficult tech tests.

I have since recertified 3-4 times and am an ASE Master Tech. Does that mean I know it all? Far from it. I came up in the ranks when cars had points and condenser. The smart tech will not wing it. They will do the research on what they are unsure of and learn as they go. I retired out of the shops after 35+ years. I still turn wrenches at home for extra money, BECAUSE I LIKE DOING IT.

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score

Check this ASE site out. You can do it all on line.

When I first got my certs, I did the easier, to me, line work tests, like brakes, steering, suspension, heating and cooling....etc. Then I studied more and got more experience and took the more difficult tech tests.

I have since recertified 3-4 times and am an ASE Master Tech. Does that mean I know it all? Far from it. I came up in the ranks when cars had points and condenser. The smart tech will not wing it. They will do the research on what they are unsure of and learn as they go. I retired out of the shops after 35+ years. I still turn wrenches at home for extra money, BECAUSE I LIKE DOING IT.
Ok, that's good info.

I've been buying vehicles from auction and fixing them up over the past 7 years.. It's a hobby that keeps the slush fund full. I'm only taking on what I know I can handle. I need to expand my horizon to crash damage and automatic transmission repair.

I just found out about I-car.. What else am I missing?

C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019