Service visit tomorrow - what recalls & know issues do I need to be aware of?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First service visit tomorrow. 2015 Denali XL has about 7,500 miles on it.

Amazingly, the vehicle got stuck in 4WD this past weekend for the first time even (been driving around in Auto mode pretty much the whole time). Sounds like after many months of research, GM has now figured out a proper solution to that transfer case problem.

I have that silly Dinghy Towing recall pending too. Whatever.

My real question is: what else do I need to be telling the service adviser to be doing? I presume they should be updating the software on the MMI? Don't know if they would automatically do that (I hope that they would). What other things like that?

Thankfully we have had very few problems/issues with the vehicle.

Thanks.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the Dealer writes up the work order and enters it into the system it will automatically let the service writer know if there are any updates (recalls) for your vehicle. The only other way is if you complain about a certain issue and then they can see if it has been addressed by Gm ex: TSB or Bulletin. Any pending recalls will be done automatically if they have the parts in stock.

OP
OP
D

Doug_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Understood that a quick run of the VIN will tell service adviser which recalls are applicable. My suspicion though is that there are more service bulletins out there than they would volunteer, and I want to be aware of as many as possible. If they're planning on putting in the bare minimum of effort, I would need to alert them to things I want checked/updated.

I guess it comes down to this: how can I help them to help me best?

Thx

OP
OP
D

Doug_L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK - tried that and it told me only about the Dinghy recall.

My vehicle just now got stuck in 4WD for the first time. There is some sort of transfer case reset and reprogramming (as far as I can tell from other threads) which I am aware of and of course need. If I hadn't gotten stuck in 4WD this weekend though I would never have known to discuss this update with the service center. I guess it is possible that the transfer case reprogram is only done on vehicles showing the problem, but you'd think that they'd do it for all (if they were being prudent and preventative).

That's an example of what I was looking for. Thanks for all the answers so far.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you aren't experiencing any other issues, why go looking for them? If there is an issue and a fix I'm sure it's been discussed on here but if you aren't experiencing the issue, then why would you want them to go looking for the issue or even care to be aware of it for this service appointment?

Anzir

Reaction score
If you just scroll down the General Discussion or interior subforum you'll find most of the issues that have come up. The only one that doesn't seem to have a fix is the low speed pressure/interior drone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
What's the Dinghy towing recall? When I input my VIN, it doesn't come up. I have a 2015 Tahoe with the 2 speed transfer case and I plan to dinghy tow my Tahoe.

ScottV503

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure this applies, but I just sent my 2015i Denali to the shop to address the Propshaft U-joint retaining bolt recall. I had noticed a slight clunk noise when starting from a complete stop and vehicle shake at around 65 mile/hr that progressively gets worse the fast I go. The recall notice came on my Onstar App last week and a letter from GM this week. Also, the 8 speed transmission issue I've been having is a noticeable jumpyness at the lower gears. Apparently there is a TSB and software update for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts