Service Trailer Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corvette Scott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
New 2022 Yukon XL with max trailering package, hooked up to my car trailer and it works for about three stops then "service trailer brakes", lights work and trailer is recognized when hooked up. I went and cleaned the trailer ground, and trailer connector just in case. If I start the truck and don't drive ( hit the brakes a bunch sitting still) it seems to work, occasionally will give the message but if I hit the trailer gain it starts working. trailer is a 2009 open car hauler, all LED lights, never had an issue with my Avalanche. Also every time I restart the truck it recognizes the trailer and the brakes will work a couple times then nothing. I bought a new connector per PIT5509H and will try it this weekend. Anyone else have this happen and get it fixed?

Thanks

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2015 service truck that would do that occasionally. I ended up needing a new brake module that was mounted in the back by bumper and would get wet over time. I did also find that keeping the connector cleaned with contact cleaner and then a good coating of dielectric gesase, or spsay grease, worked good for helping to prevent the "trailer" warnings that came with a borderline connection.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Is any of this covered under warranty? You said you bought a new connector.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the connector doesn't fix it, have a close look at the rest of the trailer brake wiring. It needs to be "right"...no undersize wires, no flaky connections, good grounds, etc.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The new rigs auto-sense the trailer connection, but I was thinking that it applied only to lights. Other owners have had this issue with lights.

It may, however, affect the trailer brake function. Something to do with the module that senses that the trailer's connected.

eshahak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue and have had it since new. The dealer says its the trailer, but I have towed 3 different trailers and all have the same issue. Its so bad to the point its dangerous to tow, because my trailers all use electric brakes and i had an instance where the brakes went out when coming to a stop sign and pushed me into the middle of the intersection. They want me to tow my trailer in so they can check on it because they cant recreate it, the warranty wont cover any work. I have a small travel trailer, boat trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes and i towed a uhaul last weekend. I took video and hope the dealer will take care of me this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC