Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe Z26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since I bought my 2006 Tahoe the Service air bag, Service Tire monitor, and
Service Brake booster warnings come up in the information display. Around a month ago it also started saying Service 4WD. The service 4wd came on once and the next few days it stayed off. Then it came back on and went out for a couple days. Now it seems to come on almost anytime I drive it. The past couple weeks every once in a while the stability system disabled comes on too. And sometimes when that comes on the traction control dummy light comes on.
When I press the 4 low or 4 hi buttons in park or neutral it doesn’t do anything just stays in 2 wheel. Yesterday when I was driving it wouldn’t go much past 20mph and kept jerking like it wanted to die out and lights were coming on in the cluster. It eventually started running as it does normal but it was concerning because I had to pick up my kid from school.
Has anyone had these issues? Is it the wiring, like a bad ground or something somewhere? Or do I have issues with every single one of these parts of the vehicle? I’ve done a lot of google searching and watched videos on YouTube about bad grounds. Today I removed and cleaned the ground wire on the passenger side that bolts to the back of the block. The ground wires that are on the driver side under the radiator. The three ground wires that are on the frame by the driver side front door. And the ground wire strap on the drivers side firewall. I wasn’t able to get to the other end that bolts to the block. After doing all those I drove it around and the service air bag, service brake booster, service tire pressure warning were on from the start and after about a block the service 4wd warning came on. It ran okay but it usually does. It was just that one time yesterday that it wouldn’t get over 20mph. I’ve read that people have cleaned these ground wires and their problems went away. I guess I’m just not lucky. If anyone has any advise or thoughts on this please let me know.
Thank you

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Many many times these numerous stack of warnings are found to be related to loose, dirty, corroded ground wire connections at battery and at the engine, firewall and all along the frame. It is uncommon for so many items/systems to have warnings or go bad at the same time. I still think you need to dig more for other connections to deal with.

A great source for locating these and other systems about your rig is at ALLDATAdiy.com. Membership for your vehicle is for a year and then you have access to the same info that the repair shops do.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Service Brake booster warnings come up in the information display. Around a month ago it also started saying Service 4WD. The service 4wd came on once and the next few days it stayed off. Then it came back on and went out for a couple days. Now it seems to come on almost anytime I drive it. The past couple weeks every once in a while the stability system disabled comes on too. And sometimes when that comes on the traction control dummy light comes on.
When I press the 4 low or 4 hi buttons in park or neutral it doesn’t do anything just stays in 2 wheel. Yesterday when I was driving it wouldn’t go much past 20mph and kept jerking like it wanted to die out and lights were coming on in the cluster. It eventually started running as it does normal but it was concerning because I had to pick up my kid from school.
Has anyone had these issues? Is it the wiring, like a bad ground or something somewhere? Or do I have issues with every single one of these parts of the vehicle? I’ve done a lot of google searching and watched videos on YouTube about bad grounds. Today I removed and cleaned the ground wire on the passenger side that bolts to the back of the block. The ground wires that are on the driver side under the radiator. The three ground wires that are on the frame by the driver side front door. And the ground wire strap on the drivers side firewall. I wasn’t able to get to the other end that bolts to the block. After doing all those I drove it around and the service air bag, service brake booster, service tire pressure warning were on from the start and after about a block the service 4wd warning came on. It ran okay but it usually does. It was just that one time yesterday that it wouldn’t get over 20mph. I’ve read that people have cleaned these ground wires and their problems went away. I guess I’m just not lucky. If anyone has any advise or thoughts on this please let me know.
Thank you

I would change the wheel bearings/hubs with Timkens if it hasn't been done already, or even just check the harnesses. They can cause a lot of your messages. The wheel speed sensors are in there. I would also look at the battery cables. - in particular.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you
In addition to what Nate and Ron have suggested, I would also crawl underneath and make sure you have fluid in your transfer case. If you have a OBDII scanner, get the codes that the vehicle is throwing. Will need to get one that can read ABS and SRS codes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10