Service air bag message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 Yukon XL Denali...get the "service air bag" message and the red air bag indicator light in the dash every time we crank it up. Hooked up OBDII and there are no codes at all, so I have no idea where to begin. Any thoughts?

Edit: Just realized I posted in wrong forum...can a mod please move?

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring in between your seats and the center console. Sometime the wiring harness to the pass airbag module comes lose.

Or yours can be like mine and have an actual failing airbag module......

That being said, lots have fixed the problem by just finding the lose connection. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The one in the driver seat easily comes off when you move the seat back and forth. It happend on my 07 a couples of times and my boss's 11 burbank. Check on the bottom there is a plug

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it easy to find or will I need to try to get under the carpet?

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's easy to find. You can actually see it pretty easily.

YouTube is your friend. There are videos out there you can use as a reference to see what we're talking about.

I'm pretty sure i saw posts here also.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked under both seats and all wiring harnesses appear to be quite snug. Wasn't really sure which one I was looking for, but they all were pretty tight. What's next?

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a ground underneath the pass seat. It's under the carpet and held down by a 10mm bolt I believe..... I would check that next........

Unfortunately, without spending the cash to diagnose it at the dealer, you'll have to put in the time and wrench work to check each of the connections going to the module.

I can't overstate enough that google and this site will be your best friends!!! I won't clog the site with reposts but there are tons of pics and step by steps posted on both to walk you through checking all the connections, their locations, the grounds and the module itself.

I can tell you with 99% confidence, your problem is in one of 3 places...

1) The connections under the seats are lose or have a crimped or broken wire/connector.

2) The ground is lose/broken somewhere.

3) Or a bad module

I'd check in that order... If you eliminate the first 2, you know the answer.....

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the information. Last night after checking all the harnesses under the seat I didn't bother checking the dash since none of them felt loose. However, when I cranked it up today the message was gone. I guess one of them was loose after all.

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome!! Glad you "fixed" it!! Haha sometimes it doesn't take much!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978

Latest posts