"service 4wd"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tridaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am getting a "SERVICE 4WD" message on my display. I have had this problem twice int he past; both times the repair was $600.00 +. What happens is I am unable to go into 4wd or any of the variants available, or the vehicle will stay in what ever mode I was in at the time. I have a 2004 Yukon XL 1500 with the push button selection for choosing my traction. Both times in the past when the same problem happened a servo was replaced. I did not think to ask for the old one, or even for a part number in case it happened again.
Well here I am... again.
Does anyone know what I am talking about, what the servo part number is, or how difficult this repair is to do myself? Is this a common problem, if so is there an upgrade I can get? Or if this is not a common problem, is there a reason my vehicle will need the same servo replaced three times, how do I prevent it from happening again?
Thanks in advance.

thegeneral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting the same light on my 2000 XL.

I replaced the dash switch, cost around 100.00, took 5 minutes, and havent had a light for 2 yrs.

May be the same issue?

OP
OP
T

Tridaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am reading past forums on this, and the switch keeps coming up. Like I said the past two times, I was told a servo was replaced, hence the $600.00 + price tag. If all I needed was a switch I will be really upset. I am having the codes read tomorrow and will go from there.
Thanks for the info.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am reading past forums on this, and the switch keeps coming up. Like I said the past two times, I was told a servo was replaced, hence the $600.00 + price tag. If all I needed was a switch I will be really upset. I am having the codes read tomorrow and will go from there.
Thanks for the info.

Google, google, google, use different words describing your problem. Now try searching that switch. Then go with the easiest fix that makes sence. These trucks have so much going on theres usually something else up then the obvious. Good luck,

mmeachem

Reaction score
Yeah try the switch but if it comes on take it back to the shop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700