Sell my Tahoe for new gen or keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm at the point where I'm debating on selling my current '13 Tahoe PPV and getting a current or keeping it. Recently my other car was totaled and I received $7500+ for it and get to keep it and sell it.

My current '13 PPV has 142k miles, is fully upfitted due to being my work demo truck and response POV for FD. I'm estimating I could probably get between $10-13k for it if I sold it with everything on. Only reason I'm debating is I'm also a college student so I could also utilize the insurance money to put towards student loans and keep my Tahoe and wrap it midnight blue. I just worry about mileage when attempting to sell it even though it's service life it was well maintained and I also have kept it well maintained.

Any input from anyone to help guide me with this decision?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"College student...", "...could use insurance money to put towards student loans..."

Other than already having such debts, surely the insurance for a new one would be higher. I'd say that keeping your 2013 is the logical choice. You'll be that much farther ahead on repaying your student loans which will help when you are in a better position for financing a new model (that, hopefully, has ALL the bugs worked out). Also, the depreciation for mileage will still be a better deal than the cost of a new model.

blackjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Advice from an "ole dog" lol..
Put the $7,500. to GOOD USE, whether paying College expenses NOT covered by Loans - First !!
If all those are covered, then OK to pay down loans...otherwise, it's the easiest funds you can borrow to "start your life" !!!
Now that that's Said -
KEEP THE 2013 PPV, EASY DECISION.
I have 3 now, an 08 (with comp cam after repeated AFM failure-now has about 240k), an 04 SSV and just got a "13 !!
My 04 is an amazing workhorse, put over 100k and I got it an 150k+, Luv the 08 but the 13 is replacing it lol.
The 13 is the culmination of that generation and probably the BEST! AFM is resolved (gets about 10-15% better mpg and runs great) I haven't tweeked the computer more or dumped the cats and H piped it, BUT, it's a great truck, great model and doesn't look like I got a "new" one lol-perfect. (they look identical on outside)

By the way, I will sell the '08 for $6,000. a gift - it's a good truck and fresh RSA tires too, oil change, plugs wires roc n' roll...

Good luck
M (blackjack racing 2 time world champ C-27)

blackjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Advice from an "ole dog" lol..
Put the $7,500. to GOOD USE, whether paying College expenses NOT covered by Loans - First !!
If all those are covered, then OK to pay down loans...otherwise, it's the easiest funds you can borrow to "start your life" !!!
Now that that's Said -
KEEP THE 2013 PPV, EASY DECISION.
I have 3 now, an 08 (with comp cam after repeated AFM failure-now has about 240k), an 04 SSV and just got a "13 !!
My 04 is an amazing workhorse, put over 100k and I got it an 150k+, Luv the 08 but the 13 is replacing it lol.
The 13 is the culmination of that generation and probably the BEST! AFM is resolved (gets about 10-15% better mpg and runs great) I haven't tweeked the computer more or dumped the cats and H piped it, BUT, it's a great truck, great model and doesn't look like I got a "new" one lol-perfect. (they look identical on outside)

By the way, I will sell the '08 for $6,000. a gift - it's a good truck and fresh RSA tires too, oil change, plugs wires roc n' roll...

Good luck
M (blackjack racing 2 time world champ C-27)

blackjack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Kee,
Yup, my '13 had right near 100k and a little warranty-but needs nothing - I put around 5k miles on it and its an improvement over the 08.. slight, but there and rides well and tight. I still haven't cleaned all the "shale dust" off of it!
Call if you want to talk
PM for number, and we can talk later. I've had my 08 apart and know a thing or 2 for an ole fart lol...
I will be in Vegas, if that is where you are from for ICSC May 18th night to May 21st.
M

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get rid of your student loans before you start spending money. It’s tempting when everyone around new has nice new stuff, which is all owned by the bank. They’re just putting on a show. Student loans will suck the life out of you when you’re trying to buy a house and start a family. Get that crap paid off NOW! The interest accumulates quickly (and compound) and they always try and talk you into consolidating and capitalizing the loans so they make even more in interest, do not do that either. Just put every penny you have into getting it paid off. THEN buy a car. You will thank me later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094