Secret stash drawer..Shhhh,...Its a Secret!...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
--Secret compartment build and Jump seat to console swap--

The day I bought my Tahoe I folded down the console on the jump seat and never looked back.
I love the cup holders and storage nook but always hated the unused area on the floorboard in front of the jump seat.
I've always wanted to replace my jump seat with a proper center console but the money they want for one is ridiculous to say the least until a few days ago I found one for a song on fleabay with free shipping to boot!
$219 bucks this nasty thing is all mine, with some love and elbow grease it will do just fine!

...and elbow grease is just what it took, lots of hot water and soap. I swear this console must have been the center piece in a chicken coup. The lid cover was torn so I bought a replacement DIY upholstery kit for $20. It was also missing a kick-panel so I forked out another $15. So for about $255 I have the console I've always wanted staring at me waiting for an install.

But now what I cant get over is all the extra space under the console that will go unused...(if you cant tell by now I hate wasted space)o_O The console came with a BOSE amplifier and wiring harness, all which I was quick to pull out. There is so much unused space I found myself inventing things to put under it.....
an auxilary heater?...no. sounds like fire waiting to happen...a sub-woofer? ...no,...I already have two...how about a secret compartment? ...Hells yes!!!
I mean,..this thing is going to be a royal PITA to install anyway right?..seats gotta come out...heck, I might as well make it worth it..
So here goes. My plan is to custom fabricate a secret door into the console for theft prevention...and then Im going to tell everybody where it is anyway...lol
So to keep me going on this project, and for your amusement... follow along and have some laughs...

The plan..
rtrtrt.jpg

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m about to tackle a second row console for this very reason! There are no cup holders or storage space in the second row and it drives me bonkers! I have also always thought it would be really cool to utilize the space under the front console for something. I thought it would be cool to somehow have a door open and have a gun locker there! I’m in to see what you come up with! :signs1::popcorn:

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m about to tackle a second row console for this very reason! There are no cup holders or storage space in the second row and it drives me bonkers! I have also always thought it would be really cool to utilize the space under the front console for something. I thought it would be cool to somehow have a door open and have a gun locker there! I’m in to see what you come up with! :signs1::popcorn:

I think you'll like what I'm cooking then!
Stay tuned my brotha!

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some pics of the console before the work. Its dirty, its torn and the latch is broken...looks like they have been using hook and loop to hold down the lid..:)
I refuse to pay the going price for a working replacement latch ($90) ...so ill just have to get creative.:cool:
As you can see the console rear has the climate control installed, Ill be deleting/replacing that with usb and power ports...

cola2.jpg

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of my shopping list has been delivered, im really having a hard time on deciding where to install a secret switch in the cab....any suggestions? I picked up a few different types of switches...also considering a two switch approach that way if one is accidentally pressed my drawer wont pop open.
I've considered many locations, in vents, behind trim panels, under/side seats, ....I've even thought of making it to where you have to have a combination of accessories on in a certain order...
.....Im over thinking this aren't I?
sl.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
huh....different project. I'm in for progress :)

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have it figured out, but here are some potential considerations...please forgive my paint skills:oops:

idears.jpg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have it figured out, but here are some potential considerations...please forgive my paint skills:oops:

View attachment 230309

I would avoid anything down by your feet as that will be a pain to get anything out of.

What if you hinged the center tray/cup holder so that it flipped up towards the dash? The existing edge of the center tray will camouflage the fact that there is anything there. Then you could have your hidden compartment extend under the front into the area under your dash and have good visibility when you are in the driver's seat.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would avoid anything down by your feet as that will be a pain to get anything out of.

What if you hinged the center tray/cup holder so that it flipped up towards the dash? The existing edge of the center tray will camouflage the fact that there is anything there. Then you could have your hidden compartment extend under the front into the area under your dash and have good visibility when you are in the driver's seat.

Thought about that,...
Hinging the cup holder tray would be PITA considering how it clips in the hole, and then theirs the "drinks and junk" being hurled towards the radio thing...
I like the way you think though:cool: you have a very mechanical mind!

heres a pick of how the underneath section of the tray looks like.. (pic from internet)

View attachment 230310

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9