Sea Foam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service light back on. Going to try another can... fingers crossed.

The only thing that stuff is good for is a smoke show. Take your truck somewhere and have them diagnose the reason for the code. Trust me on this.....

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faceplant: you obviously have never used seafoam. Unlike snake oil, seafoam actually works. Every spring, I change my old winter weight oil for cheap junk with a can of seafoam, run it according to directions, drain it and put in good quality summer weight oil. The cheap stuff comes out black after 15 minutes, and the summer weight will last 6,000 miles or better. Usually I end up changing it before it's "too far gone" (ie, almost black) I love the stuff, works great.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 2000 Denali 5.7, I owned for a few months was so sluggish and hard to start it was almost unbearable..
It took 4 cans of seafoam and 2 cans of berrymans B-12 to clean out the top end on that engine..
After, I did regular maintenance to it.
What a difference, after it blew out 11 years of carbon and sludge build up!.
It would fire right up, idle perfectly and just all around became a joy to drive..

Some vehicals respond better than others to seafoam treatments. Its based on how bad your Valve seals leak and how much blowby your rings are letting through.

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have indeed used Seafoam. Like I said, great smoke show!! I guess there is the chance that it may work on much older vehicles, but the only additive I would ever use in any vehicle I own nowadays would be a BG product. If it works for you, more power to ya!

Last edited:

Pooh Bear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a quick update on how I made out. Did another can of Seafoam and scanner cleared my code. Code P0301 came back, rough idle (pretty bad). SES steady on and blinking ALOT. So I did more research and figured I try a little Lucas Oil injection cleaner. Actually, I put about 16oz of it in the tank and then filled up with 93 octane. BTW 93 is $4.35 a gallon up here. Damn right that sucks!!! I cleared the code and drove around for alittle bit. Got back in and took it on the highway. My idel is smooth again and no codes. Drove the same driving distance that threw a code in the past. Hope this did the trick. I'll keep you all up to speed.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy of mine who swears by this stuff and uses it on his Ford F-350 Diesel all the time. So I bought two bottles of Sea Foam and run it through the following vehicles:

1998 Chevy Tahoe (98K)
2000 Toyota Celica (170K)

I put half the bottle directly into the fuel injection system and the other half into the gas tanks on both cars. (I know it suppose to be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 but I do not want to run Sea Foam through my crank case)

The results of running the Sea Form was interesting. The Toyota smoked like a SOB and during the test drive I noticed smoother acceleration and pick-up. I was impressed by the small changes it made. Everything seems "smoother" if that makes sense.

When I ran it through my Chevy Tahoe, it barely smoked at all and I didn't notice any changes during the test drive. Nothing, nada, zip !! If anything it appeared slightly sluggish in comparison.

Its amazing how the results of the same product on two separate vehicles was so different than one in other.

WTF over !!!!!!

Did the same to my '03 Tahoe (1/2 and 1/2), when it had 106000 miles. Zero smoke. Performance was no different.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
I put half the bottle directly into the fuel injection system and the other half into the gas tanks on both cars. (I know it suppose to be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 but I do not want to run Sea Foam through my crank case)

i dumped a whole bottle straight into my fuel injection on my 96, 130,000 miles on it, and a whole bottle into the gas a couple weeks later made a pretty big difference just from dumping somthing into the engine, and mine smoked like a ***** when i did it (not when i put it in the gas tank though), maybe try a whole bottle into the injection more motor could equal more needed to clean as much out maybe? and the half the milage between the two probably makes a difference too in comparing the benefits, since the first time i used it i do half and half every few months when i do general maintenance now to keep in clean. just my 2 cents
lol

How do you put it in the fuel injection system and the gas tank? That makes no sense.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Disconnect vacuum hose and pour it in while idling, back-off it engine sputters.

I figured that would be the answer. I wouldn't call that the fuel injection system. ;)

I did it just as the can said on my 97 and it smoked like a train for a while. My 95 subaru on the other hand didn't smoke that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645