War on rodents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blh1960

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not posted in a while. I wanted to share my experience with an over eager pack rat.
My wife, and share a country home surrounded by timber. Great place to live! Except living with the wild.
All of my vehicles, including my tractor have been chewed on.
My wife's toyota developed throwing a code. Found nesting under the hood. Rat nip an injection wire.
My yukon developed a fuel sending unit issue, and I lost 4wd. Caused me about 3 days of work. Found a chewed-through wire on Harness that fed the sender. My 4wd problem kicked my butt around. Had no codes with my tech 2 reader, and no 4wd message. I ended up checking grounds, buzzing wires. Good old fashion troubleshooting led me to another open wire on the actuator harness.
The school of hard knocks strikes again.
Please be aware this is a real deal! Making the insulation on wire with soy now? Rodents love it!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one bite is the only thing that has worked in my detached garage to keep them at bay. Once I had a huge rat and chewed thru air hoses, electrical extension chords, brand new welding leads. I was so freaking pissed! Not sure if they'd like the soy more though... I guess it depends if the rats like chinese food? IDK... sorry :-(

Farnam Just One Bite II Rat & Mouse Bar 8pk 8lb https://a.co/d/aYxImKB

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic snap traps work placed along edges/walls even unbaited they work especially good on the inside of truck.

RoadTrip

Reaction score
Depends on if you want to kill them, or repel them.

Just finished a fall season with mice, swamp rats (not even kidding) and red squirrels attacking my vehicles. Fortunately, they didn’t get any wiring (we’ll see: 2 still in winter storage), but they shredded any insulation under the hood and were starting to work under the seats. I still can’t find how the mice were getting in.

Normally, we use the peppermint oil to repel critters, but they were even chewing overnight on the cars not in storage. They were so prevalent, the oil couldn’t be placed in enough locations (in a shallow cup) to be effective.

I tried d-conn blocks and they seemed to treat those as a dietary supplement,

The swamp rats were run off, partial nests destroyed and the engine bay steam cleaned.

The red squirrels were dispatched, but for the mice, I resorted to traditional snap traps baited with cheese. It was very effective and I caught at least one per trap per day.

The population finally subsided and now there is an abundance of peppermint oil, even on the dailies. Since the cups don’t work well in a moving car, I put the peppermint oil in a spray bottle and misted the engine bay, the fender wells, and floormats.

So far so good…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts