Sea Foam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I have a buddy of mine who swears by this stuff and uses it on his Ford F-350 Diesel all the time. So I bought two bottles of Sea Foam and run it through the following vehicles:

1998 Chevy Tahoe (98K)
2000 Toyota Celica (170K)

I put half the bottle directly into the fuel injection system and the other half into the gas tanks on both cars. (I know it suppose to be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 but I do not want to run Sea Foam through my crank case)

The results of running the Sea Form was interesting. The Toyota smoked like a SOB and during the test drive I noticed smoother acceleration and pick-up. I was impressed by the small changes it made. Everything seems "smoother" if that makes sense.

When I ran it through my Chevy Tahoe, it barely smoked at all and I didn't notice any changes during the test drive. Nothing, nada, zip !! If anything it appeared slightly sluggish in comparison.

Its amazing how the results of the same product on two separate vehicles was so different than one in other.

WTF over !!!!!!

Last edited:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe has half the miles thus half the junk built up on valves and what not.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I think he was wondering why it seem to be sluggish now. My thinking it that may be some of the seafoam may have clogged the map sensor a little. Or a throttle body IAC.

keruzam93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dumped a whole bottle straight into my fuel injection on my 96, 130,000 miles on it, and a whole bottle into the gas a couple weeks later made a pretty big difference just from dumping somthing into the engine, and mine smoked like a ***** when i did it (not when i put it in the gas tank though), maybe try a whole bottle into the injection more motor could equal more needed to clean as much out maybe? and the half the milage between the two probably makes a difference too in comparing the benefits, since the first time i used it i do half and half every few months when i do general maintenance now to keep in clean. just my 2 cents

Edit: oh ya, and if you do end up doing a whole bottle do it very slowly ive heard of people hydrolocking their engine or somthing from dumping a whole bottle in too fast

Last edited:

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't say exactly how you "poured it in" so I can only assume that you did it correctly.

When I did it to my Dodge Ram, it went as follows.
Pull the vaccuum hose from the brake booster.
Let the truck idle and slowly pour the Seafoam down the hose, allowing it to be sucked into the motor. Too fast and it will stall out. Then once you've added all you want, shut it off. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Then start it up and wait for the smoke show. Mine took about a minute of idle before it would smoke, but then it poured out. Once it was mostly done, I went for a ride to make sure everything was completely warmed up and oil was fully circulated back to the cylinders. I've heard that too much Seafoam can wash the cylinder walls and cause the rings to scratch, but I don't know.

One thing to note is that the sluggish feeling experianced can be from seafoam fouling the spark plugs.

I also use it occasionally in the crankcase 20 or so miles before I change my oil. The first time I did it to a high mileage truck I had just bought, chunks fell out of the oil drain into the catch pan.

Pooh Bear

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried it. Worked Great. I have a 158,500 miles on my 01 Yukon. Got a P0301 code, changed the plugs, then got a multiple misfire code. I seafoamed through the brake booster vacuum line and the gas tank - 1/2 and 1/2. Blew alot of smoke, but the code came back after resetting. Used another can - 1/2 and 1/2 again. This time I left my truck off for 1/2 and hour. Got a great feeling when I watched my service engine soon light go out. Much better pick up too!!!! I'll give an update if it stays off for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons