Scored lifters and camshaift replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheray333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Cadillac escalade purchased new. Vehicle has only been to Dealership for oil changes and work. Two weeks ago got a normal oil change. Started hearing clicking noise while idling. Returned to dearlership. 82k miles they say lifter is scorned in intake and cam is bad. $7500. I don't have a warranty! Never had any problems and no check engine light. Even had onstar run diagnostic and nothing found. Help. Is this a normal price? Anyway around this amount. Any recalls?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that replace the engine? If so, I guess that sounds about right.

If it's only to replace the camshaft, lifters, pushrods and maybe machine shop work to the heads, seems a bit high. But it's the dealership, so they are always more expensive than independent shops. You can always get a second opinion and quote.

OP
OP
S

sheray333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If it's only to replace the camshaft, lifters, pushrods and maybe machine shop work to the heads, seems a bit high. But it's the dealership, so they are always more expensive than independent shops. You can always get a second opinion and quote.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right for cam and lifter replacement at a dealer. It's a lot of work and the worst part is, it won't fix the problem. You'll still have a DOD engine and it will fail again. What you should do if you want it to last, is find a shop that will put it back together with a DOD delete. It's still going to cost probably 4K-5K but at least it won't be another DOD failure.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
That sounds about right for cam and lifter replacement at a dealer. It's a lot of work and the worst part is, it won't fix the problem. You'll still have a DOD engine and it will fail again. What you should do if you want it to last, is find a shop that will put it back together with a DOD delete. It's still going to cost probably 4K-5K but at least it won't be another DOD failure.
^^^^^^^^^^^

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd sure double check that they are replacing all 16 lifters, and the misc. related parts too.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it's just crazy that these failures are so common in these engines!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right for cam and lifter replacement at a dealer. It's a lot of work and the worst part is, it won't fix the problem.
You'll still have a DOD engine and it will fail again.
What you should do if you want it to last, is find a shop that will put it back together with a DOD delete.
It's still going to cost probably 4K-5K but at least it won't be another DOD failure.
When you hover over the 'Like' icon, this forum lacks a seventh 'Helpful check mark'.
Would've selected that instead of merely giving a 'Like thumbs up'.

To elaborate on the above quote ...

'The problem' is the variable displacement lifters, although the lifter manifold that allows the v4 mode lifters to change modes does not help.

'The solution' is to make the engine a real V8:
use non-variable 'V8' lifters
replace the VLOMA with a passive non-variable V8 mode only counterpart
permanently disable the variable displacement 'feature' in the pcm (externally with a plug-in, or internally with a pcm tune)

If you've a 6- or 8-speed, replace the torque converter - better yet upgrade it - before the TCC takes the transmission down with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts