Scanners on a budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son just turned 16 and was willed a ‘97 Buick Lesabre custom. Low grandpa miles on it but it’s been sitting since ‘18. Got it sorta running but the check engine light is on as I’m sure the ****** gas etc is causing issues. Needs work but nothing to make me want to scrap it or sell it.

I’m looking into a scanner that can be used on the fleet, would like to be cost friendly but... I’m not sure if the tech 2’s can vary that far in the years.

The rest of the family fleet consist of

‘77&79 Caddy Seville currently not running, project cars, plan for LS Motor and trans.

‘03 Silverado extended cab Z71

‘07 Saturn Aura XR

‘14 Tahoe SSV

‘13 Mercedes Benz Tall top Sprinter. Work truck but maintained mostly by me.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
basic scanner can be easier to use than the tech 2
especially if you just want to read a code, and don't know what module it might be coming from.

I have an actron scanner, can update via usb.
(reminds me i need to check for updates)
I got mine slightly used off of ebay, but even used they can be over $100.
One piece of advice is to make sure it can read ABS and SRS codes.

I ended up buying it while trying to chase an ABS issue, I found out that none of the local auto parts stores could read anything other than basic engine codes (not even NAPA!)

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actron or innova are good enough scanners for typical diy work. vary from basic for like 50 bucks up to 100 or more for advanced features with live data

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One piece of advice is to make sure it can read ABS and SRS codes.

I ended up buying it while trying to chase an ABS issue, I found out that none of the local auto parts stores could read anything other than basic engine codes (not even NAPA!)

One of our local Advance Auto stores has one that reads SRS codes and I was able to use it to diagnose a friend's clockspring issue in her Corolla a few years back. Call around for availability, they're probably more prevalent now.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 20 buck dongle and 5 bucks for torque pro and it does quite a bit pretty easy. I also have a aeroforce scan guage that I can use if needed, that can read and clear codes and comes in handy for some things. ( was in a car that I was using it for a gauge and kept it when the car went.

but honestly if your gonna be doing an ls swap and want to save a little on the back end of that deal it may be easier to pony up some cash and spring for hptuners now, you can scan and clear codes on most cars and will give you the ability to do what you want with the swap project yourself and save you some cash on paying a tuner multiple trips to get everything right.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I have a 20 buck dongle and 5 bucks for torque pro and it does quite a bit pretty easy. I also have a aeroforce scan guage that I can use if needed, that can read and clear codes and comes in handy for some things. ( was in a car that I was using it for a gauge and kept it when the car went.

but honestly if your gonna be doing an ls swap and want to save a little on the back end of that deal it may be easier to pony up some cash and spring for hptuners now, you can scan and clear codes on most cars and will give you the ability to do what you want with the swap project yourself and save you some cash on paying a tuner multiple trips to get everything right.

I have hp tuners and some knowledge to use it.
Cut my teeth on my C4 vette and an ebl flash ecm.

It's a VERY powerful tool, even just with the tool it self and no licenses to edit.
But the base tool is right up there with a china Tech2.

You can also destroy your car if you don't know what your doing... ;)

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I have hp tuners and some knowledge to use it.
Cut my teeth on my C4 vette and an ebl flash ecm.

It's a VERY powerful tool, even just with the tool it self and no licenses to edit.

Interesting, so are you saying the HPT can get into SRS, ABS, and body module programming? I may get back into HPT if it can replace a Tech2. I used it ten years ago or so but then got away from GM tuning. I only used for engine and trans tuning back then.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Point being it that it can do I believe nearly as many things as a cheap tech2 from just the diagnosis standpoint. And with the need to do tuning later. Even if a buddy helps and or baby steps it could save money in the long run. Even if just to eliminate some sensors and such so the pcm works standalone with a stock tune file.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the ultimate budget scanner is a WiFi or Bluetooth dongle that plugs into your ODB port and connects to a smart phone with an app. I bought mine on Amazon for $20 and the app (Car Doctor) I got off the Apple app store for free.

I did upgrade to the Pro version of the App (more simultaneous devices capability, etc.) after I tried it for a few days for a lifetime $6 upgrade. It can read DTC's and clear codes, has Dashboard, Live Data, Feeze Frame, read monitors, data recording, etc. You can download a bunch of the free app's and see which one you like by running in demo mode (the protocol is called ELM327, so if the dongle and app use ELM327 you are GTG).

This is what I bought. It went up a little since I bought mine. Still cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Viecar-Bluetooth-Android-Diagnostic-Multi-Brands/dp/B01MTKSCEJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LXRMA0VANHNS&dchild=1&keywords=viecar+obd2&qid=1613315611&sprefix=viecar+,aps,217&sr=8-5