Scan Tool??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a scan tool and I want it to also do later model vehicles. I have good scan tools for pre-2006. What do you have that does later model vehicles and how do you like it? Looking to keep the cost under $150 if possible, I do have access to a Snap-On Modis and others if the going gets rough but I want something for home diagnosis.
I've looked around and the Autel AL619 or the Launch CRP123 look like they might be good, anyone have one of these?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess no one uses a scan tool. I ordered an Autel 629, we'll see how it goes. They are the only company I found tht has a US office and a phone # and people actually answered the phone.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please consider doing a review of its capabilities and your thoughts on it. I use a Tech-2 and an OBDII adapter with the Torque Pro app.

OP
OP
E

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an Autel 629 on ebay for $80. It's a real basic scan tool which is good. I connected to my 97 Tahoe and it functioned fine giving me access to codes and data. Live data worked fine and I could graph data and even have dual graphs to compare 2 sensors at the same time. I didn't check on the 97 for Anti-lock or SRS, I will next time.
I connected to my 08 Envoy and it gave me engine transmission SRS ABS and I could monitor live data. Looks like it will be fine for basic code reading data and clearing codes. It's an $80 scan tool and for the money it's not bad. Pretty fair sized screen and it has a rubber case on it. Cord is long enough I could have it under the hood while hooked up on the Envoy. It came with a nice storage bag and a cable to hook to a computer to download data or print it. Also comes with lifetime updates but I don't know if it will update much as it only goes up to 2017 if I read right. It's not a Tech II or a Snap On Modis but it's $80 and not bad.