Rust starting on quarter panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
so I live In Michigan and she's an old girl. 2002. Like two years ago rust was starting and I took it to thelen dealership and had them fix it. Well not even a year later it was bubbling and they suck at what they do. This winter has taken a toll on only the rear quarter panels. I'm not interested in paying a shop $800+ to cut out the corner and patch a replacement and paint it... I was thinking of just putting something like this over it. They don't make one for a 2002 Tahoe but I'm sure I can fab the 2007 Silverado kit to fit my Tahoe. Thoughts?

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_...lack-Rhino-Lining-Rocker-Panels-PRD38850.aspx

9E4A58BB-7811-49A9-8576-C07444DC7921_zpso72oo698.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly it's a horrible idea if you look closely at that picture it's already starting to rust on it. Plastic body cladding like that will only accelerate your issue. It traps dirt/mud debris and moisture and is almost impossible to clean behind it without removing it every time. If it's only starting to bubble a little after a piss poor repair it probably just bubbling from moisture and light surface rust. Take it to a legitimate body shop and have it looked at. If you want to fix it yourself and your handy and patient I suggest stripping it down removing any visible rust. Then coat it with a rust inhibitor primer a non glossy top coat to seal it then coat the bottom edge in a high grade bed liner or just pastidip. It will give it a sleek 2 tone look if you take your time and tape things off to give them a nice solid straight line.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't cover it up. Either leave it or fix it right

OP
OP
massivespl

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
I would sand it down and prime it and then put the Rock gaurd down so I don't have to paint.... It's not like I'm just going to throw it right on top the rust.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Do exactly what drakon543 said.sand it all the way to bare metal. Apply rust inhibitor. Then primer and adhesion promoter. From there spray base and clear yourself or send to a shop and have them shoot it for couple hundred bucks.
I personally would take it back to the dealership with a attitude that would scare those grown men into little boys. But that's me ;)

carduke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by a bodyshop that it is ok to just completely sand the rust off and no need to go to bare metal. Using less than 320 grit can cause scratches in the surface also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath

Latest posts