Rough idle after tb cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elrey7698

Reaction score
Okay so i cleaned my 2007 yukon 5.3 flex fuel throttle body on saturday and i know i messed up by manually moving the butterfly...now when i turn it on it jumps to 2500 rpm...when im driving at around 10-15 mph it will slowly accelerate...then when i put it in park it will accelerate and it wont stop till i turn off the truck...i already drove about 75 miles like this and it wont recalibrate..I looked around the forums and some say to just drive it...and some say to take it to the dealer...some guy said for me to disconnect the negative on the battery and press the brake 3 times then turn it on...

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to do the TB reset/calibration. Search this forum, but I recall you need the Tech II device to do this. Did you disconnect the electrical connections to the TB while cleaning?

OP
OP
E

Elrey7698

Reaction score
No i did not disconnect the plug before cleaning...where can i find that device? Or where can i take it to get calibrated

rosendo192000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relearn it your self or take it to the dealer to get it relearned . I did it my self and it went away with 100 miles ( not consecutive ) after I did the following process . http://obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Try to unplug the negative and positive and tap them together , it will discharge the capacitor ( I hear ) then do the re learning part

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ unless I am missing something, that proceedure does not recalibrate the throttle body.
Also I would not recommend touching the positive and negative connections together, the ECM and other components are sensitive.

OP
OP
E

Elrey7698

Reaction score
Well it has gotten a little better but it still has a rough rpm when i turn it on...Im getting it tuned on saturday...i wonder if i can have the guy fix yhat for me

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has gotten a little better but it still has a rough rpm when i turn it on...Im getting it tuned on saturday...i wonder if i can have the guy fix yhat for me

Yes a tuner should be able to do the throttle cal. Let us know if that fixes it.

Did it correct itself? I'm going through the same thing.

Gonzo it has been awile and the truck looks good with the new tires (KM2?).

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
Its been awhile, I try to log on every once in while but I've been busy.

My tires are the Nitto's Trail Grappler, the KM2 were my first set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n