Rough Idle 5.3 fuel flex

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Riordan

Riordan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Post up the short- and long-term fuel trims after warmup, at idle and at 1500 or 2000 RPM.

Also, some of the checks Eric explains might help:

I can take different readings tomorrow but it has to wait until I replace the fitting for my heater core since it broke this morning.
Screenshot_20210220-231210.jpg Screenshot_20210220-231229.jpg Screenshot_20210220-231242.jpg Screenshot_20210220-231716.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you unhook the battery when you swapped back to the stock intake. of not unhook it for 5 min so the ecm can realize its drawing like its supposed to and retune itself. with the spectre on there the map tables were probably getting all messed up and it needs to reset those. if that was already done how long have you run it since swapping back over it may take a couple trips around the block or a short jaunt through town for it to complete a relearn. p0455 is listed as a large evap leak and i have no clue there. totally separate systems to my knowledge.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wasn't aware there was already a thread started for this so since you made 2 threads im going to stick the my next info back in this thread.
View attachment 271323
aa you can see from these 2 examples. aem has a fairly small tube compared to the others. k&n only necks down the maf section.
View attachment 271324
airaid haa the beginning and maf smaller than the last piece to deal with the maf.
View attachment 271325
injen also necks down the maf section to fight the issue.
theres other examples of both cheaper intakes without any provisions and other expensive intakes with provisions for the maf af issue. there has been several work arounds in the past most of which are semi sketch. if you can figure out a way to choke the air back down going to the maf it will help your issue. be warned tho as a maf is fragile and whatever you would use could come free hit the maf or try to get into the tb.
What exactly are you saying? That the tube needs to “ neck down” where the MAF is located? The factory location is directly where the tube connects to the filter housing, it’s widest point. Also the tube included with my Whipple supercharger has the same configuration. It’s pretty much in line with the design of the Spectre. And plenty of people have been running the Spectre and cheap copies of their design without any issues.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly are you saying? That the tube needs to “ neck down” where the MAF is located? The factory location is directly where the tube connects to the filter housing, it’s widest point. Also the tube included with my Whipple supercharger has the same configuration. It’s pretty much in line with the design of the Spectre. And plenty of people have been running the Spectre and cheap copies of their design without any issues.
im not sure on the reasoning behind it im at a complete loss with anything tune related. anyway its a known possibility since like 05 i want to say. its not all vehicles gm or not however its a possibility. its why some cai have a spot on the intake tube that's like the spots ive circled in the pictures posted prior. others actually have a choke in the kit that's removable incase you actually want to get tuned and get the most benefit from a cai. ive run spectre before and haven't had an issue however that particular vehicle doesn't care. could mount the maf right to the tb and leave it wide open and it wouldn't mind. regardless majority of people just do bolt ons and leave it as is so some cai companies build that choke into the intake tube so there's less chance the factory tune will see a problem with said aftermarket part. off hand vehicles ive personally dealt with this problem was an 07 cobalt and a 08 civic. ends with the same issue of the engine runs but ends up with a cel due to being lean. i looked up the op's year make and model and alot of the cai have the visible choke on the pipe which indicates enough to me a lean code is a potential without it. also as your running a supercharger your obviously tuned. the maf isn't a problem with the cai the factory tune is the problem.

jwth

Reaction score
when you increase the air flow with aftermarket parts you are going to have to recalibrate the pcm. More air gets you maf readings for out of range.
Check with a tuner for help in changing the fow calibrations, worked for me.

just my 2 cents

BlackBear can help or buy a tuning rig and work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645