Rough cost on paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i went to my local garage,The painter said 200$ and he will paint it,But I need to bring the stuff,So I was wondering,Anyone know a rough cost for the materials,Going with a black cherry,So need the paint, clear coat etc

quietfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YIKES a 200.00 paint job? what exactly is he painting?

JayXSP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a professional Airbrush Artist/custom painter and let me just say that the clear I use is $400.00 a gallon (barley enough to paint my truck). Not what kind of finish or longevity your looking for but dont skimp on material...theres a reason the cheap stuff sucks...it doesnt last. All paint (clear) is shiny right out of the booth but what really makes the paint job is prep work and type of material used...dont skimp..you'll regret it

Go to a local paint supply shop and talk to them about what you need. I personally use Spies Hecker for my clear but that might be too pricey...PPG's 2021 clear is really good and a bit cheaper in cost. (has an amazing shine and buffs like a dream).

if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask

-Jay

Last edited:

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...(and for reference of the quality of work I do go to www.XSPAINT.com)

-Jay

I used to dabble in this kind of work way back in the day to make spending money while going to school. Let me just say after viewing your website that your talent and quality of work looks exceptional! :worship:

JayXSP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to dabble in this kind of work way back in the day to make spending money while going to school. Let me just say after viewing your website that your talent and quality of work looks exceptional! :worship:

Thanks Jem,

Ive devoted my life to it..been into art my whole life but the last 7-8 years have been all automotive type work. Dont want this to get off topic..just figured id throw my 2 cents in but also prove I know what Im talking about.

-Jay

OP
OP
K

koons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
YIKES a 200.00 paint job? what exactly is he painting?

he is painting the whole truck,but its already been primed sand`d and ready for paint,its low cause in my town there is no tax,and he said i would be alot more if he had to do all the body work etc to get it ready for paint

JayXSP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he is painting the whole truck,but its already been primed sand`d and ready for paint,its low cause in my town there is no tax,and he said i would be alot more if he had to do all the body work etc to get it ready for paint

Like I said. I would go to your local paint supply shop and talk to them about the prices. A forum like this probably isnt your best bet for topic that has such a wide spectrum of pricing. but right off the bat i can tell you plan on spending at least $500-$1000 just on base and clear...remember, the more pearls/metallics the more it costs (unless its yellow or red, the pigment itself is more expensive than lets say a blue or black)

-Jay

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
not to derail either - but Jay, your work is sick, amazing!!

Every now and then I'm in Southport & Danbury area, so it's not a huge hike to your shop. I've been trying to think of something I can do to the paint on my 4dr that will make it unique - I'm definitely interested to connect with you.

JayXSP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to derail either - but Jay, your work is sick, amazing!!

Every now and then I'm in Southport & Danbury area, so it's not a huge hike to your shop. I've been trying to think of something I can do to the paint on my 4dr that will make it unique - I'm definitely interested to connect with you.

pm me...

back on topic guys..i really didnt mean to thread jack this thread. Ill edit my post and delete the link to the site...(theres a link in my "Official introduction" thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n