Road trip w/o E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAYkon

Reaction score
I'm planning a road trip from Louisiana to California and seeing as there is only one gas station in my area that carries E85 I can only imagine the availability along the trip. So, my question, how bad s it going to be running regular fuel in my tan for the next 5k miles? Will it matter running 87, 89, or 93? While running these should I be using and alternative?
Sorry for the lack of knowledge, guess I should know these things before buying a flex fuel.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 gets you roughly 25% worse fuel milage.

The truck is tuned for 87 from the factory if you are not towing. 87 is not recommended for towing. The computer will automatically recalibrate depending on the percentage of ethanol going through the fuel line.

Using regular gas, you will actually probably see a saving in fuel cost over your trip and better average fuel economy.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LAYkon

Reaction score
So, if i used 87 for the the duration of the trip and I get back will I notice or have any issues switching back to E85?

Polaris425

Reaction score
Yeah, your MPG will go back to sucking.

I honestly don't understand why people use that crap to save a few dollars on a fill Up.
You asked about additives, yeah, you should be using them now, putting that crap in your truck.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are SPECIFICALLY tuned for E-85 (like a Blackbear or Wheatley tune) , then you will get better mileage on regular gasoline. I know that 99% of gas stations sell E-10 though instead of 100% pure gasoline. That 10% ethanol drops your fuel economy by up to 3%. I noticed on my own truck that I easily get 50-75 more miles per tank when I filled up with pure gasoline. But now NOBODY in my area sells it anymore, so I'm stuck using E-10.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That few they save on fill up, they lose in miles per gallon.

But hey, who keeps up with how many miles to the gallon they actually get

Polaris425

Reaction score
Actually I do quite often lol. I'm a commuter and put in a little over 100 miles a day. So I tend to keep an eye on it.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. I do as well. It make me conscious on my driving habits.

im also playing with tunes on my bully dog tuner as well.

Flexx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas stations in South Louisiana where I'm from have ethanol free for the boats. Averaged 4 more miles per gallon after filling up on that for the return trip.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Maybe back then when e85 was around 2 bucks and regular was near 4 bucks a gallon. Here e85 is just about the same as regular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse