Retractable running boards or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yahtzee

Reaction score
Having trouble locating the vehicle of choice. Removing the retractable running boards from the mix DRAMATICALLY improves my options but I really like the look when they are retracted...any feedback on their functionality?

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends. How much do you like being banged in the shin?

"But, you'll get used to it and stand out of the way after a while."

Ok, how much do you like hearing about your passengers being banged in the shins?

:)

OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
Depends. How much do you like being banged in the shin?

"But, you'll get used to it and stand out of the way after a while."

Ok, how much do you like hearing about your passengers being banged in the shins?

:)

Wow, hadn't thought of that...is that really the case?

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me the very first time I opened a door of the '15 Denali at the dealer... It's worse when you are walking between the cars like in a parking lot. You're forced to stand close to the side of the vehicle because of the car next to you.

I didn't want them for the cost and maintenance. The kick in the shin was the seal on the deal.

Don't feel bad for getting them, though, you wouldn't be the first person to pay more money and put up with more inconvenience on a car just for it to look the way you want. You have to pay for it, get it the way that makes you happy. If you're going to look at the standard running boards and be annoyed every time you see them, then get the folding ones.

Ophthos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had mine for a week now. Haven't hit my shins yet. I don't mind them. Nice clean look when retracted, but i find them a bit low. I'm 6'3" and I can get into the truck without using them. I do like the ground lighting that comes from them.

OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
Thanks. I've been set on Summit White until I saw a black one the other day. After all of these years, I am actually considering black on black. I haven't seen a vehicle look so good in black in a long time.

rgnbull1227

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Family of four and not one of us had this happen. Until I saw this post, didnt even know it was an issue. You would have to be standing right up against the Yukon to get touched by the boards. Get them. I too had to locate the exact vehicle we wanted. 1,100 miles away we did. Worth it. You will be pissed later you didnt get exactly what you wanted.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great for little kids. Useless and in the way for adults.
We have them, I wish we didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbrown415