Replacing sway bar links on 2007 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jyates1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My oil change place said that the bushings on my sway bar links were broken down and I looked and sure enough they are. I've looked at some U-tube videos of how to change the links and bushings out but I notice that all those guys have the tahoe up on a lift with the wheel taken off.

Can I replace them without lifting and removing the wheel or is that totally necessary?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Jim

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil change place said that the bushings on my sway bar links were broken down and I looked and sure enough they are. I've looked at some U-tube videos of how to change the links and bushings out but I notice that all those guys have the tahoe up on a lift with the wheel taken off.

Can I replace them without lifting and removing the wheel or is that totally necessary?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Jim

I've done it with the wheels on and the vehicle on the ground. They just do that to make it easier to get a good camera angle.

OP
OP
J

jyates1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've done it with the wheels on and the vehicle on the ground. They just do that to make it easier to get a good camera angle.

Thanks....just crawling up under and looking I didn't see any reason I couldn't put a backup wrench on the top hex of the bolt and a socket on the bottom nut and get it loose and changed out.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....just crawling up under and looking I didn't see any reason I couldn't put a backup wrench on the top hex of the bolt and a socket on the bottom nut and get it loose and changed out.

NP! Yup, you might have to muscle the bar around a bit to get it to line back up, or to get the old ones off, but its not a big deal.

OP
OP
J

jyates1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All went pretty well without using a lift or removing the wheels. Turning the front of the tire on the side you are working on inward gives you a nice working space to get to the links on the backside. I am not very mechanical and had to figure out to remove both sides of the old links in order to free the sway bar up to be able to tilt it up to accept the new links and bushings. Not sure how "tight" to tighten up the bolts but I got them snugged up but not too tight to damage the bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommyNomad