Replacing park assist sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall,

Does anyone out their have experience with swaping out park assist sensors? I poked my head underneath the bumper cover and it appears it has to be removed? I tried the cleaning with rubbing alcohol thing.. no dice. So i bought 4 new sensors. Looks like a headache to me lol

Slammed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
here you go i hope this helps you figure out your problem with the rear park sensors.you need a paper clip for this one...

The UPRA isn't on Class II so it can't be scanned for codes. But the good news is there's a 2-pin diagnostic connector hanging off the harness near the UPRA module, and all you have to do is short the 2-pins and read the codes as follows:

- Ignition off
- Short diagnostic connector in PARK
- Ignition ON
- Apply BRAKE
- Shift into REVERSE within 5 SECONDS

The UPRA lights will flash codes. Post back what the lights do.

No lights? Check the fuse, and if still no lights either the UPRA module or wiring is bad. I assume no chimes either (if chimes and no lights, check the connectoron the UPRA display).

Using the 3 indicators on the rear parking assist display the system is capable of displaying diagnostic trouble codes. After the bulb check has been completed, the red outside indicator flashes to indicate a malfunction with the system. The module disables operation of the Ultrasonic Read Parking Assist (URPA) systemunder this condition.
• 

HOW TO "ENTER" DIAGNOSTIC MODE
To enter diagnostic mode, proceed as follows:
1. Short the rear parking assist diagnostic connector to ground while the vehicle is in PARK.
2. Turn the ignition ON.
3. Place foot on the brake.
4. Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within 5 seconds. If the vehicle is not shifted into reverse within 5 seconds after turning the ignition ON, the diagnostic mode will still be initiated. However, a reverse input wiring fault will be registered as shown in the Diagnostic Indicator table below.
• When the diagnostic mode is first entered, the rear parking assist display displays the amber outside indicator and the red outside indicator. Then the indicators on the rear parking assist display will display one or more of the sequences in the table below to indicate where the fault exists within the rear parkingassist system. 
Diagnostic Indicators 
State/Fault Location Amber Outside Amber Middle Red Outside
• Start of Diagnostics ON OFF ON
• RR Corner Object Sensor and Wiring ON OFF OFF
• RR Middle Object Sensor and Wiring ON ON OFF
• LR Middle Object Sensor and Wiring OFF ON ON
• LR Corner Object Sensor and Wiring OFF OFF ON
• Chime Warning Wiring OFF ON OFF
• Reverse Input Wiring OFF FLASHES OFF
• SensorSupply Voltage Circuit and FLASHES FLASHES FLASHES
• Sensor Low Reference Circuit
• 

HOW TO "CLEAR" TROUBLE CODES
The rear parking assist diagnostic sequences may be cleared in one of the following ways:
1. Drive the vehicle forward at least 24 km/h (15 mph). Stop the vehicle. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Turn the ignition ON. Place foot on the brake. Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within five seconds. Turn the ignition OFF.
• The sequences will not clear if the rear parking assist diagnostic connector is grounded.

OP
OP
YukonandtheHOE

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here you go i hope this helps you figure out your problem with the rear park sensors.you need a paper clip for this one...

The UPRA isn't on Class II so it can't be scanned for codes. But the good news is there's a 2-pin diagnostic connector hanging off the harness near the UPRA module, and all you have to do is short the 2-pins and read the codes as follows:

- Ignition off
- Ignition ON
- Apply BRAKE

No lights? Check the fuse, and if still no lights either the UPRA module or wiring is bad. I assume no chimes either (if chimes and no lights, check the connectoron the UPRA display).

Using the 3 indicators on the rear parking assist display the system is capable of displaying diagnostic trouble codes. After the bulb check has been completed, the red outside indicator flashes to indicate a malfunction with the system. The module disables operation of the Ultrasonic Read Parking Assist (URPA) systemunder this condition.
• 

1. Short the rear parking assist diagnostic connector to ground while the vehicle is in PARK.
2. Turn the ignition ON.
4. Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within 5 seconds. If the vehicle is not shifted into reverse within 5 seconds after turning the ignition ON, the diagnostic mode will still be initiated. However, a reverse input wiring fault will be registered as shown in the Diagnostic Indicator table below.
• When the diagnostic mode is first entered, the rear parking assist display displays the amber outside indicator and the red outside indicator. Then the indicators on the rear parking assist display will display one or more of the sequences in the table below to indicate where the fault exists within the rear parkingassist system. 
Diagnostic Indicators 
• 

The rear parking assist diagnostic sequences may be cleared in one of the following ways:
1. Drive the vehicle forward at least 24 km/h (15 mph). Stop the vehicle. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Turn the ignition ON. Place foot on the brake. Shift the vehicle into REVERSE within five seconds. Turn the ignition OFF.
• The sequences will not clear if the rear parking assist diagnostic connector is grounded.

Thanks for that!

My bro at the body shop filled me in. Best and only way is to pop the bumper cover off. Gotta wait till spring. Might aswell get the wifes “parking lot Oops” on the rear cover taken care of while its off.

Scotter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

- Ignition off
- Ignition ON
- Apply BRAKE

• 

2. Turn the ignition ON.
Diagnostic Indicators 
• 

To clear the codes you you put the truck in park before turning the ignition off and then back on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9