Replacement Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh.. Gotcha..

By the time its all said and done, its just as expensive, and a little less work to keep the Z55/Clones Air Rides than it is to convert it to Standard because of spring replacement.

Edit: I cant speak to the Nivo's mentioned above, I know nothing about them, other than they are more expensive.

Edit2: And with him pulling a trailer, he should want the AirShock in my opinion. It will help with squatting of the truck.

The Nivomats adjust automatically with no external hardware; yes, they're expensive but can be found on lower mileage SUVs at the junkyard. Generally on the NBS SUVs they're paired with a softer coil spring.

When loading down the vehicle, they need to be "exercised" for a block or two of driving; they sense and compensate for the load. Not saying they're for super towing needs, but mine work great towing a 3800 lb camping trailer. Some of the trailers use a WDH and the lighter ones not, but either way I've had good experiences with them. When I load up with heavy bags of stuff at the lumber yard they bring up the back end just fine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info ! Yes I wan to get rid of compressor and air ride. I think I would prefer option 1. So I do have some questions. The zw7 is a RPO code? The self leveling shocks will adjust by them selfs driving down the road a few miles? Nothing else is needing for them to do this?
Yes, ZW7 is an RPO code to describe a type of suspension. In the 1/2 ton 800 wagons like yours, GM used 3 different configurations. The two I referenced in my earlier post and yours should be Z55 with G69. The Nivomats are self-contained and have no external moving parts, they adjust and level the truck themselves.

Here's the description from a 2002 Tahoe and Suburban electronic owner's manual:

1630013732379.png

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, ZW7 is an RPO code to describe a type of suspension. In the 1/2 ton 800 wagons like yours, GM used 3 different configurations. The two I referenced in my earlier post and yours should be Z55 with G69. The Nivomats are self-contained and have no external moving parts, they adjust and level the truck themselves.

Here's the description from a 2002 Tahoe and Suburban electronic owner's manual:

View attachment 348667
Thats pretty neat!

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
I talked to dad and he wants to go with new compressor and the Arnott shocks. I go to order them and summit says thecAS3430 are not the right ones for his 06 denali and won't fit. Can someone please help me ? Am I missing something? Thank you !

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want Arnott shocks, why don't you call them directly and discuss your need. I believe you can order them directly from them, and they would be in the best position to advise you on what will fit on your specific truck.

You can get a Dorman compressor from Rock Auto for a reasonable price.

If you want to confirm part numbers, Post the last eight digits of your VIN number, and @915_Tahoe can assist you in getting the correct part numbers.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per Arnott.. The AS3430 is correct.. IF you have the Z55 code on your glove box RPO sheet
XL
Regular

The best price I have found is at Summit Racing
AS3430

AS2708

Both are the same price.
The AS2708 is a rebuilt OEM Shock with electrics
The AS3430 is a new aftermarket shock with electric simulators

The best price I have found for the Dorman Air Compressor is Amazon, but warranty, which is lifetime thru other sources, is unknown with Amazon.

Last edited:

1xd5

Reaction score
If you want to dump the compressor and air shocks, you have two options.

1. Keep the rear springs and use Nivomat self-leveling shocks, 540-532. This is ZW7 with G65.

2. Install New HD rear springs and shocks, 45H2164 springs and 540-433 shocks. This is plain ZW7. Truck will sit higher in rear unless loaded.

You'll have to consult others about preventing warning lights and such from showing up on the dash, I just now the easy stuff!

Stock air shocks are 580-457 if you do not have 20 inch wheels. If you do have 20s, then it is either 580-458 or 580-203 depending on RPOs.
Would doing option 2 with Bilstein 5100's and Moog coil springs be better, or would you stick with the oem? Ideally I'd like to just repair my air ride but I do want about a 2" lift, which I don't see much info on except that I would need shock extender brackets, so I'm thinking of just doing option 2 and crank torsion keys a little up front. I have an 06 Yukon Denali XL

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would doing option 2 with Bilstein 5100's and Moog coil springs be better, or would you stick with the oem? Ideally I'd like to just repair my air ride but I do want about a 2" lift, which I don't see much info on except that I would need shock extender brackets, so I'm thinking of just doing option 2 and crank torsion keys a little up front. I have an 06 Yukon Denali XL
You have to define "better". Is Option 2 simpler and less maintenance? Yes. Does it ride as nice as original? No.

You have to search for the many posts on guys who kept their air ride, self-leveling suspension with a mild lift.

These guys will know: @Trey Hardy @01Konvict

1xd5

Reaction score
You have to define "better". Is Option 2 simpler and less maintenance? Yes. Does it ride as nice as original? No.

You have to search for the many posts on guys who kept their air ride, self-leveling suspension with a mild lift.

These guys will know: @Trey Hardy @01Konvict

Sorry for the confusion. I meant which was “better” for option 2 between using ac delco parts vs the bilstein/moog (not in comparison to stock air ride)

And I must be bad at research but for the life of me I can’t find many who kept the air ride and did a mild lift lol, it’s usually either delete it and lift or keep air ride no lift. I did find one guy who commented on a YouTube video that he did a 3” lift , kept air ride using shock extender brackets, unfortunately I don’t know if he’s around anymore. I’m completely in the dark with suspension so I would need to know what all do I need and where it’s recommended to buy said parts.

Thank you for your reply.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I didnt think there was a coil over option for the NBS, because of the torsion arms? Shocks are straight forward, and many parts warehouses sell a conversion kit to fool the Z55/Z95 system.
Atomic fabrication makes a coil over conversion to delete the torsion bars all together for lifted and lowered applications.
He uses Viking coil overs which actually in the research is a pretty decent coil over for the money and haven’t seen any complaints about them.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant which was “better” for option 2 between using ac delco parts vs the bilstein/moog (not in comparison to stock air ride)

And I must be bad at research but for the life of me I can’t find many who kept the air ride and did a mild lift lol, it’s usually either delete it and lift or keep air ride no lift. I did find one guy who commented on a YouTube video that he did a 3” lift , kept air ride using shock extender brackets, unfortunately I don’t know if he’s around anymore. I’m completely in the dark with suspension so I would need to know what all do I need and where it’s recommended to buy said parts.

Thank you for your reply.
You can swap to bilsteins they should have some for a 0-2” lift on eBay or Amazon. You’ll need dummy sensors for the air ride so you don’t get lights in the dash. Mines lit up like a Christmas tree but I don’t really care
If you wanted to keep the air ride you could also use shock extenders
Stocks nice but I always try to find a way to upgrade when I replace a part if I’m able I’ll spend the extra money to get something that’s going to be stronger last longer and ride better especially if I’m driving it every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs