Replacement radio buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon SLT with the Bose 6 disc radio, looks like RPO UC6. The radio buttons are worn and I am looking for a replacement kit. The problem I am running into is Dorman, for one, doesn't list 2004 as compatible but the buttons look identical in their part number 76824. I looked at the kit at LMC, part number 37-4736. It looks identical and I even called them and the guy wouldn't confirm 2004 as a fit.

Has anyone replaced their 2004 buttons and if so, what kit did you use? I appreciate the help. My wife doesn't want an aftermarket stereo in the truck so the button replacement is the only option right now, if possible. I attached a pic of the radio. As you can see, we replaced the HVAC unit with a new Dorman piece and it looks a lot better. 20210326_131256.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd send you a whole (dusty) radio you could use for parts for the cost of the ride. I'm pretty sure that the CD changer is intermittent and you'd have to use parts from this one for yours.

20210326_124801.jpg

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
I will keep that in mind. My zip code is 65536 if you want to give me an idea of what it will cost to ship.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will keep that in mind. My zip code is 65536 if you want to give me an idea of what it will cost to ship.

Heavy thing and I'd have to go weigh it to see. I would toy with the idea of pulling off the faceplate and sending small parts, but I wonder how many parts I would break in the process.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Heavy thing and I'd have to go weigh it to see. I would toy with the idea of pulling off the faceplate and sending small parts, but I wonder how many parts I would break in the process.

Ok, no hurry, whenever you get a chance. I have read that the clips that hold the faceplate to the casing can be fragile.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So would you want just the faceplate and the knobs if I can get them off in good shape, or would you prefer the whole radio? These radios are VIN-locked so this one wouldn't work on yours unless you got it programmed to yours; I hear that there may be a way around that by clipping something on the circuit board but have no details.

I'll get it weighed in the next few days and see what shipping would be for the whole thing.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So would you want just the faceplate and the knobs if I can get them off in good shape, or would you prefer the whole radio? These radios are VIN-locked so this one wouldn't work on yours unless you got it programmed to yours; I hear that there may be a way around that by clipping something on the circuit board but have no details.

I'll get it weighed in the next few days and see what shipping would be for the whole thing.
There's lots of youtube vids that shows how to defeat the vin lock. I've done it myself and it works fine, only thing is it'll say ERR in the corner of the display. If that doesn't bother you then it's fine.
Many more vids.

OP
OP
WickedGoat

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Let's see if anyone can chime in on the replacement buttons. I was reading reviews of the Dorman kit I mentioned and there were reviews on 2004 Chevy and GMC vehicles... one guy even posted before and after pics and the radio is identical, but in a 2004. My gut says the kit will work, but I'd feel better with someone confirming that.