Replacement exhaust too small?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had my 08 tahoe since 12 and it had a flowmaster dual kit on it that rusted away and became too loud for my wife's liking. Took it to local muffler shop and had them install a "factory" style single exhaust with 2.5" tailpipe about a year ago. They said this is what they do to normal trucks for a local dealership trade ins that need exhaust work.

We just bought a 2019 tahoe and this one is my daily driver now. Was crawling under it today and noticed that the muffler they used is some off the shelf round case that looks to be 2.5 in and 2.25" out that has been expanded to meet the 2.75" inlet pipe and 2.5" tailpipe. It does not feel too bad driving it but concerned that muffler may be too small for the 5.3. I do not drive crazy with it, 40 miles a day on I-95 @70-75 mph. MPG seems a little less than what I remember. Truck is stock other than a air raid jr tube with paper filter.

Thoughts were to maybe replace the muffler with a 3"/2.5 single magnaflow or other turbo style, or find the actual OEM style cat back thats all 2.75 if needed. It has 180K miles on it and hope to keep it for another 100K if possible. Do not want to risk anything if this muffler setup is choking it.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I read that right? 2019 with 180k? You can never go wrong with putting it back to what it should be or letting it breathe a little better out back since you already did so up front.

OP
OP
A

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I read that right? 2019 with 180k? You can never go wrong with putting it back to what it should be or letting it breathe a little better out back since you already did so up front.

The 08 in question has 180k. It is now my daily driver since the wife got a 2019.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 08 in question has 180k. It is now my daily driver since the wife got a 2019.

LOL!!! Yes, I went through a number of years, where I got my wife's 'old' vehicle, and she got the new one.

Not any more!! (As long as she agrees/approves.....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts