Replace power steering box or something else? 03' Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltaxtion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I bought an 03' Suburban that supposedly only needed body work (rockers, wheel wells, etc.) I noticed on the way home it had a power steering issue as well. Hydroboost system. At a standstill or low speed, the PS worked fine turning right but turning left it was binding up. I replaced the PS pump and fluid and still the same result. I bled the system after the repair as well.

I did notice the fluid is already milky so I guess I'll try to bleed it all out again. Any tips on the bleeding process or does anyone think I could need a new PS gearbox?

Thanks

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try to flush but that issue ends up being a valve control in the gear box.

Either way you'll want clean fluid in the system

OP
OP
B

boltaxtion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, that's about what I figured.

I'm a bit torn because the truck was pretty cheap at $800, I've put a few hundred into parts so far (plugs, wires, valve covers, PS pump, etc) and a steering box is $200 at least. But with the mileage at 300k it's only a $1000-1500 truck.

I did all the body work also so I'm sort of attached to it at this point.

Reaction score
They grow on you fast. 03 with Hydroboost. 2500, not 1500? My 01 1500 was regular Vacuum boost, it did the same thing at times ( for a long time ).