RENAMED!! The adventures of Chase and his 2006 Yukon XL Denali!! Follow along on my travels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to to add BOTH Snow Summit and Bear Mountain cancelled operations today because of the extreme snow and wind….. I think in all 18 & 1/2 years we’ve been in big bear the resorts have only closed like 4 times including this one because of weather and snowfall.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, you are living my dream! Are we related? LOL.

Love your adventure. Unfortunately WI is pretty boring for those kind of escapades. I've been trying in my beater 2008 Denali, but am not semi-retired anymore.......wife and family have needs. I need to figure out how to do that as a living. Problem solved

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, you are living my dream! Are we related? LOL.

Love your adventure. Unfortunately WI is pretty boring for those kind of escapades. I've been trying in my beater 2008 Denali, but am not semi-retired anymore.......wife and family have needs. I need to figure out how to do that as a living. Problem solved
While I love snow for the sake of snowboarding, I’m not thrilled about this much snow all at once. It’s not my dream that’s for sure…. :bleh: My dream living would probably be a white sandy beach that’s warm all year round and never ever sees snow lol.

And honestly I’m so done with working for the resorts. I have one crappy manager that makes my life miserable and a ski and ride school director that hasn’t skied in 25 years and isn’t even certified to teach, and does nothing about any of the managerial problems our departments faces. She’s well aware of the problems but doesn’t care. It’s a miracle I haven’t told both of them to pound sand and just walk off the job. But I don’t burn bridges unnecessarily though.

I think that’s why I do so well in the non snow months working as a detailer and working for myself. I don’t answer to a boss so I don’t have to put up with bad treatment. Lol.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living the dream. I'm still searching for that 7 - 8 month a year job. I've worked my ass off since I was a teen and am done giving my life away. I'm looking for a balance to enjoy life before I can "retire per the govt" and have no life left to give.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living the dream. I'm still searching for that 7 - 8 month a year job. I've worked my ass off since I was a teen and am done giving my life away. I'm looking for a balance to enjoy life before I can "retire per the govt" and have no life left to give.
Got hired at the ski resort when I was 14….. that was back when we could do that though. So I know that feeling of working since teen years. Im only 30 and have had so many crappy jobs that I’m already tired of giving them my time and life lol.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after 9 days of all three highways in and out of Big Bear being shut down, the only road open is the back grade down into the high desert and only residents with valid proof of residency are being allowed up. The ski resort has been insanely slow of course since no tourists are being allowed up. My ski and ride school director keeps thinking any day it’s going to open up. She keeps emailing everyone “well we were hoping the roads would open today but not so… hopefully tomorrow….” She’s either very naive or maybe not but everything I’m hearing is saying at least another week before they even think about letting non resident traffic up the back grade. I put in a request for a couple days off for this week, nearly two months ago, it was approved, and then rescinded out of spite by my primary manager because she’s angry at me for going to HR about all the problems that sheas causing, and I have actual proof of that sadly.

ANYWAYS!!! The road closures worked in my favor with business being so low and my director approved my two days late in the day on Thursday, off so I could take this week and head to Utah. Got cut from the Saturday schedule yesterday which is kinda BS because I have a lot of seniority and I’m one of only a handful of instructors with intermediate and advanced level teaching certs. But I decided to look on the bright side of things and took Friday and Saturday to clean my whole house and be totally prepped for the trip. Spent all day yesterday packing, making sure I had everything ready, and after my tire rotation service on got canceled on Thursday, I was able to get it done last minute over at the Jeep shop that my clients own. Unfortunately he found a screw in one tire, but didn’t have full patch kit handy and didn’t want to risk a plug coming out on the trip today. It hasn’t leaked at all and when he sprayed soapy water on it yesterday morning it wasn’t leaking either. It held all the way from big bear to Utah with no leaks so tomorrow morning I’ll hit up a tire shop here and have it patched.

Of course right now the sheriffs department, caltrans, and highway patrol are all saying different things as to what they’ll accept as proof of residency. But I made sure to have all my documentation with me. Highway patrol office said late last night all the roads including the roads in big bear valley were still under R3 chain restrictions. I’m like ummmmmm….. “they plowed all the way to pavement and I saw photos of dry pavement on the 18…. Why would I need chains on that?!” Lol. She’s like “oh well I guess I don’t have up to date information…..” wow…. Just wow… lol. I kept things polite as im sure they’re been dealing with all sorts of angry people….

Replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner on the belt a couple days ago as I was still getting really nasty belt whine intermittently after replacing the serpentine belt a couple weeks ago. Super intermittent and usually not when the truck is at running temp. Well this morning about halfway down the 18 it started whining again at full running temp… not sure why.

Aside from that the truck ran good all the way up to Utah.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drive today gave me a really good opportunity to clear my head. Have been sporadic with church attendance these last few weeks with everything going on. I made it last week but I was kinda bummed that I was missing church today even though I’m all in on my Utah trip. About 10am just before rolling through Vegas I remembered “oh yeah I can watch my church service while I’m driving on our livestream on YouTube!” Pulled it up on my phone and let all the audio play over the truck stereo while the video played on my phone. Glanced at it every so often to watch the worship team lead worship and then the message today came from one of our ministry partners that is the VP of a big non profit that works to get children out of the Southeast Asia child trafficking rings. His sermon and the little bit of personal testimony he shared as to how he got involved with the group and what not was so uplifting. Was exactly what I needed.

And then afterwards I spent over an hour on the phone with my great aunt, in Vermont, who I’m super close with. I haven’t made a big effort over the last couple years to stay in touch with my extended family and my great aunt is probably my favorite relative. Was really sweet to just be relaxed in the truck driving and catching up and laughing with my aunt.

Spent the rest of the drive cranking up the tunes and just marveling at this beautiful world we live in. My favorite part of this drive is the stretch that takes me through the northern tip of Arizona into the southern tip of Utah in I-15, going up through the canyons and red rocks before hitting Saint George. It’s just mesmerizing to me and then the rivers winding their way through and under the highways is fascinating to look at.

Attachments

• FE355075-635F-4095-8F3A-42188826FDFB.jpeg
    FE355075-635F-4095-8F3A-42188826FDFB.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 1266E6B3-FBC1-4018-ABB3-2BEA6B0BBAC3.jpeg
    1266E6B3-FBC1-4018-ABB3-2BEA6B0BBAC3.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 363ED226-0E67-4201-BC50-71A99AA69FFF.jpeg
    363ED226-0E67-4201-BC50-71A99AA69FFF.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DD7FE34D-B20A-4792-B496-81523C7C1578.jpeg
    DD7FE34D-B20A-4792-B496-81523C7C1578.jpeg