RENAMED!! The adventures of Chase and his 2006 Yukon XL Denali!! Follow along on my travels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My key situation lately has been kinda weird. The key on the right is broken on the loop for the key ring. Hence the electrical tape. But I have been using the key on the left tied to the remote, so much so that it’s dull and ignition sticks and I have to wiggle and jiggle to get it to turn. Which is super irritating. Silver NBS key fob still works though.
7E7DF81D-88B5-48B6-A9B4-BC256585B059.jpeg
So here’s my solution: two new keys and a second remote from boost auto parts, 2015 style. Decided I liked the first one I ordered so I ordered a second one. Thankfully they’re pretty easy to program.
Two new keys and two new remotes: 087765E7-D34F-419C-944C-230BCB2854D4.jpeg
The remove before flight chain is my primary key! Cuz I’m that guy! And I have one of those hooked to my snow pants that I wear when I’m teaching snowboarding! The kids get a pretty good laugh out of it so I figured I needed one for my truck key! Now I definitely know which keys are mine when I hit the gym for class and all of our keys get disorganized haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know for as much talk as I hear about how difficult painting chrome is, I’m feeling pretty confident in my painting skills right now. Lol. I’ve got the new grille covered in three coats of primer. And so far the primer came out really great! Can’t wait to start color in about a half hour! Here we go!!

B30D0703-7E47-4418-A897-4C7232D54422.jpeg
Gotta love the army green of self etching primer! Haha. Im also doing the backing piece for the gmc logo. I’m sick of black plastics. Lol.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know for as much talk as I hear about how difficult painting chrome is, I’m feeling pretty confident in my painting skills right now. Lol. I’ve got the new grille covered in three coats of primer. And so far the primer cane out really great! Can’t wait to start color in about a half hour! Here we go!!

View attachment 228785
Gotta love the army green of self etching primer! Haha. Im also doing the backing piece for the gmc logo. I’m sick of black plastics. Lol.
It’s not that it’s hard to paint, it’s hard to make it last without it chipping easily. The only way to see how good you did is let time tell. My painter said he had his helper sand for quite a few hours on mine but he painted the center too which is tedious due to all those holes and most of that had to be done by hand. He started with 80 grit and worked to 600. It has a few rock chips after 2 years but still looks great. Good work Chase.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not that it’s hard to paint, it’s hard to make it last without it chipping easily. The only way to see how good you did is let time tell. My painter said he had his helper sand for quite a few hours on mine but he painted the center too which is tedious due to all those holes and most of that had to be done by hand. He started with 80 grit and worked to 600. It has a few rock chips after 2 years but still looks great. Good work Chase.
Oh yeah! I spent several hours sanding over the last couple of nights haha. Fortunately for me I am leaving the center chrome like my last one. The paint on my last grill has held up incredibly well. Only one tiny chip in the paint and it’s barely noticeable. The other stuff is just scratches from the fender tab being broken and wiggling around.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
So working on a fix for that tab.... I had to get um.... creative.....
Stay tuned. Mean while there’s this guy! Gonna scuff up a perfectly brand new grille! All for the sake of paint!! Lol
A pre sanded photo:
View attachment 228692

Chase post some pics of the final product.

Friday I dropped off the grill and the escalade roof rack at the chrome shop, getting it de-chromed. Hopefully, I can paint it right after.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chase post some pics of the final product.

Friday I dropped off the grill and the escalade roof rack at the chrome shop, getting it de-chromed. Hopefully, I can paint it right after.
It’s painted! I didn’t dechrome. But not an overly difficult process to sand and prepfor paint. I’ve learned from many of the experienced guys on this forum that self etching primer is the key to getting paint to play nice with chrome. And I can attest to that. Every paint project I’ve tackled after learning that, even plastic parts, I use self etching primer. Just letting paint cure for a couple more days before I do a finish sand, and then a fresh coat of sealant before it goes on my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts