Removing ECM safely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I gave my husband the link for LT1swap.com (for deleting AFM on my 07 Tahoe) and although he hasn't read it all through yet, he was concerned about frying the computer if the ECM is not removed/put back correctly.

Can anyone attest to the ease/difficulty of this project? The LT1swap.com site includes a video for removing it that looks pretty straightforward, but the instructions for prepping and cleaning the connectors looks to be pretty detailed and a little intimidating with all the warnings. Any problems with any of the steps? And if you don't have an air hose, other options?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Use of a "ground strap" is critical IMO. To easy to mess up without it and all the info for cleaning the connectors is also important. Make sure pin alignment is correct as well. Check all female connectors to be sure they stay in the connector holder if pushed from the pin side. There have been times where when plugging everything together causes a female connector to push out of the holder. That causes either no connection or intermittent connection issues. If you have watched just one you tube about all this, do yourself a favor and watch a few and compare them.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gahhhh, so this is such a steep learning curve! Husband looked at the connectors and (outwardly, at least) look very tidy, so probably not a big project to disconnect. BUT while reading the additional info on the site about modifying ECMs with GM updates (if not previously done), there was this info and warning:

"To see what updates maybe available for your vehicle, click here, enter your VIN, click 'Get CAL ID', Select 'ECM Engine Control Module', click 'Next', and click 'Complete History' This will show all software for your ECM specific to your VIN#. There are 8 modules in your ECM. Some scan tools will display what your current vehicle software is, and you can use this tool to see if updates are available, and what that update is for....

....Please note, an ecm which is programmed with NEW GM software, may require a relearn procedure once you get it back in and running. If you get P0315 code, this will mean you need to have a "crankshaft position sensor variation lean" procedure done with a scan tool. This code will not cause any poor running or issue, but will prevent ECM from detecting misfires until the relearn is completed."

What in the world is this scan tool and who/where/how much will this cost so we can know which of those updates have been done or if we even want/need them done, as well as fix the possible P0315 code? I was able to bring up the chart of said updates, but yet again, over my head.

Last edited:

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Gahhhh, so this is such a steep learning curve! Husband looked at the connectors and (outwardly, at least) look very tidy, so probably not a big project to disconnect. BUT while reading the additional info on the site about modifying ECMs with GM updates (if not previously done), there was this info and warning:

"To see what updates maybe available for your vehicle, click here, enter your VIN, click 'Get CAL ID', Select 'ECM Engine Control Module', click 'Next', and click 'Complete History' This will show all software for your ECM specific to your VIN#. There are 8 modules in your ECM. Some scan tools will display what your current vehicle software is, and you can use this tool to see if updates are available, and what that update is for....

....Please note, an ecm which is programmed with NEW GM software, may require a relearn procedure once you get it back in and running. If you get P0315 code, this will mean you need to have a "crankshaft position sensor variation lean" procedure done with a scan tool. This code will not cause any poor running or issue, but will prevent ECM from detecting misfires until the relearn is completed."

What in the world is this scan tool and who/where/how much will this cost so we can know which of those updates have been done or if we even want/need them done, as well as fix the possible P0315 code? I was able to bring up the chart of said updates, but yet again, over my head.

A “Tech 2” might provide this information. Others will chime in to where you can get one for the least amount of money and whether or not it can actually perform this.

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some scan tools will display what your current vehicle software is

With regards to getting this information you don't necessarily need to spend more than about $20. A Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an android app can read this. It is a standard service $09 request to the ECM. (This device will NOT do the Crank angle sensor error relearn)

I use a VeePeak Mini Bluetooth adapter and the OBD Fusion app for this.

Screenshot_20210314-100316.png Screenshot_20210314-100330.png Screenshot_20210314-100407.png

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Our vehicles were designed to be worked on by the Tech-2, which was the dealer level scan tool from the 1990s until about 2013. GM switched off to something else but the Chicoms kept making them at their factories and sell them for 1/10th the price. Look for my article, The Case for the Tech-2.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our vehicles were designed to be worked on by the Tech-2, which was the dealer level scan tool from the 1990s until about 2013. GM switched off to something else but the Chicoms kept making them at their factories and sell them for 1/10th the price. Look for my article, The Case for the Tech-2.

Ahh, ok I was wondering what Tech 2 was in reference to....this is going way over my head. Husband said he prefers working on older vehicles with not so much tech. I concur lol. But I read him the list of available calibrations for our vehicle and he didn't seem to think any on those were make or break. I'm wondering if when the 90k service was done if the service techs generally include or offer to update. We may give them a call to see if they do (extra services, more money, think if they could, they would push that added service...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157